Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Setraline Withdrawal

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Setraline Withdrawal

I stopped taking this medication over one week ago. Since then, I have had a sinus infection, vomiting, dirrehea, extreme anger and a little mania. I was taking 100mg I am afraid to get back on it because I finally can feel emotions again. I was diagnosed with post postpartum depression after the birth of my second child. Can all these side effects be related to stopping the drug? Any suggestions?
Some of those symptoms could be fromt he withdrawal, particularly the anger and mania, but it's hard to be more specific without know how long you were on the medication and how you stopped. You should have stopped over a three week  period of weaning, but if you didn't , then the symptoms are much more severe.  What you can do is go back on a small dose, the smallest possible that might reverse the symptoms, then wean yourself off gradually.
I responded to your post yesterday but then deleted my comments as I didn't know how appropriate they were.
I hate seeing people ask questions and getting no answers.

People sometimes get sick when their defenses or immunity is low.  This could be due to stress and/ or fatigue, etc.

Nausea and vomiting are listed as side-effects to many medications.  It seems plausible that one would also experience them when with-drawing.

I think the mood symptoms could be normal -also you're experiencing things again after having previously taken medication.

Was stopping the medication a joint decision (one between your doctor and yourself) or did you make this decision yourself?

Ideally you should go through a taper and side-effects should be limited.  I would be really concerned that the underlying issues haven't resolved.

Monitor your symptoms and if they continue or concern you then speak to your doctor.

J