Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Side Effects of Serzone

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Side Effects of Serzone

Hello.  I have been depressed for over two years now.  Nothing has helped it so far.  I began taking Serzone today.  I am concerned about permanent side effects.  Do you know if there are any?  Thank you!
  David

_
Dear David;
Nefazodone (Serzone) is an antidepressant that acts by inhibiting serotonin reuptake and also blocks serotonin receptors.  The starting dose is 200 mg./day given in divided doses.  The "usual" therapeutic dose is 300 mg./day which can be titrated as high as 600 mg./day in some patients if necessary.  The most common side effects include nausea, dry mouth, dizziness, sedation, constipation, and light-headedness.  It appears to be helpful in depression-associated insomnia.  I am not aware of any permanent side effects of Serzone.  It appears to have less sexual side effects than some of the other antidepressants.
I hope this information was helpful to you.  It is however for general education purposes only and is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice.
Keywords: Serzone/Nefazodone/Depression