Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Side effects from Cymbalta

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Side effects from Cymbalta

I have been taking Cymbalta for a couple of years but when I miss a day or two I get htese awful head surges.  I'm not really sure how to explain them but they feel like someone is sqeezing your brain real quick.  Is this something that is a normal side effect or could this be something else.
I have heard this so many times that I believe it is normal, but a little unusual to happen after missing only one or two doses.
I took have been on Cymbalta for a few years.  I don't notice what you described if I miss a dose, but I don't doubt any side effects anymore.  My doctor says meds often have a reverse effect on me which is one of the reasons she has said I am so resistant to treatment.
I  HAVE  AVOIDED  TAKING  CYMBALTA  BECAUSE  I  HEARD THAT  IT CAUSES  WEIGHT  GAIN .  MY  SISTER  IS  A  NURSE  AND  SAID  THAT
MANY  DOCTORS  LIKE  CYMBALTA  BECAUSE  IT  REALLY  WORKS  FAST. HAS  ANYONE  HAD  PROBLEMS  WTH  WEIGHT  GAIN  WHILE TAKING  CYMBALTA?
I gained 10 lbs in the last year and a half that I've been on Cymbalta....but I've also been in Graduate School so it is hard to be sure what's what.....I am having a heck of a time turning around my sedentary grad school habits to help me take it back off.
I've had similar effects when trying to stop any of the SSRIs including Paxil and zoloft. I'm on cymbalta now, so can't say if it would do the same (I haven't missed any doses yet), but I assume it would.

the only downside to cymbalta that I foresee is that it's a gelcap that can't be cut to help taper down. the lowest you can go is the lowest mg dose they make...hopefully that's low enough.

In regards to the weight gain, actually I have gained about 15 pounds over the past year, about the same amount of time I've been on cymbalta but I never thought about it. I'm also steadily getting less active due to chronic pain so it is hard for me to say which is the cause. good luck with it
I have been successfully taking Cymbalts for several months with no problems.  I have been experencing a "whooshing" sound when moving my eyes and I've also had some mild dizziness for several days. I Googled the symptoms and found them described in Cymbalta withdrawal. Went and checked my weekly pill container and found that I missed putting the Cymbalta in the box and haven't had it in five days.  Just wanted to say thanks for the website and I wonder how I survived without the Internet!