Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Stopping St. John's Wort

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Stopping St. John's Wort
Dear Sirs;
I am a 38 year old who has been taking 2000mg of St. John's wort (GNC concentrated brand) for the past 10 months. This has helped my depression, however, I think it may also cause the chronic headache that I have. Does anyone know how long St. John's wort can remain in the body?

I am afraid of taking a prescribed pain medication like Tramadol, and having Serotonin Syndrome.Three years ago I had been taking only 300mg of St. John's wort, and after stopping for approx 6 weeks I was put on Paxil and experienced Serotonin Syndrome after only 1.5 doses. Needless-to-say I never want that to happen again.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Headaches is the major side effect of st. john's wart.  The dose you are taking is already twice the maximum dose, so be very careful.  The active ingredients effect the serotonin system, so I would guess that you have to taper down over a two to three week period to avoid any rebound effect. That is only a guess. YOu should see doctor about this since you have been so sensitive to serotonin changes in the past.