Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Sudafed and anxiety

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Sudafed and anxiety

I'm a 42 year old woman who sometimes has feelings of depression and anxiety, usually accompanied by low self-esteem. I do not always feel this way. I have found that a dose of Sudafed makes me feel normal (not high or different -- just not depressed or bad about myself). Why does Sudafed have this affect on me? Are there any side effects of taking Sudafed now and then when I feel down?
Sudafed has an amphetamine like effect...it is a stimulant and that's why you feel better. It is not recommended for this use, but occassional doses that are no more than you would take with a runny nose will probably be okay as long as you do not have any heart disease.
1 Comment
You might want to check into the possibility of adult ADD -- one of the most common side-effects of ADD in adults is depression and questioning one's self-worth, etc.

If stimulants affect your mood like that, there's a chance you would be enormously helped with one of the ADD stimulant medications on the market.  You can go to any qualified psychiatrist for testing and a review of your symptoms. Do you drink lots of coffee, eat lots of sugar? Does the Sudafed help you feel less "foggy", improve your mental focus as it were?  That's all classic AD(H)D.  Wouldn't hurt to check it out!

I'm 37 and just got diagnosed last year, and the medication has been a tremendous aid in my life -- no longer do I suffer the same  depression, self-questioning, disorganization, mental fogginess, etc.  It's been almost miraculous.

Check it out!  A great book on adult women with ADD is Sari Solden's "Women with ADD: Embracing Disorganization in the Workplace and at Home".

Good luck!
Grrlfriend
I have similiar effects with sudafed.  everything "clears: up.  I ahve allergies also, but always "take" a sudafed to "clear" up/  I'm glad I read this.

Wow, I was completely shocked tonight to read about Sudafed and anxiety. I had been looking around the internet trying to find out the down side to taking a daily dose of sudafed or even every other day. I am a 42 year old mom of 3. After a few bouts of sinus headaches...I tried sudafed and found that I feel remarkably normal when I take it and for the entire day I feel the way I think I should feel. My oldest child it 7. I had a partial hysterectomy last summer to cure fibroid tumors and I thought that my overall energy would improve after the surgery. I have felt so tired and run down for so many years that I think it has just become the "norm". My doc had given my Zoloft to deal with PMS. I only would take 50mg every other day and found some relief but not much and taking any more made me too tired to get out of bed. Since I discovered the effects of sudafed a couple months ago I no longer need Zoloft and I feel great. I have good energy all day, absolute patience with my kids, no "blue" feelings during PMS times, I am able to get in and do projects without "running out of steam" midway through. I just cannot say enough. I don't feel jittery or like I am on a "speed" drug, I just feel good. It seems to have even helped me to sleep more fitfully at night also. I have also noticed that I think more clearly and am able to communicate better verbally. I still wonder about long term side effects and hope there are none. Would love to know if there are more of us out there and how it is working out.