Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Sudden onset of fatigue
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sudden onset of fatigue

My sister in law occasionally experiences a sudden onset of fatigue or weakness. So much so that she can barely talk. She says that at first it feels as though she needs a candy bar or something to regain her strength however eating candy, drinking OJ etc doesn't help. She's had her thyroid levels and glucose tested and both are fine. Can this be due to stress or deppression? Or is there a medical condition that is being overlooked? Thank you for your time.

Debbie Johnson
Related Discussions
Dear Debbie,

Sudden onset of fatigue or weakness can result from multiple  causes. Medical reasons such as hypoglycemia, electrolyte abnormalities, hormonal imbalances and several others can cause  weakness in a person. Stress as well as depression can  cause weakness but it won
1 Comment
Blank
I'm 16 , I laid down because of a stomach ache and feel asleep a few hours later I awoke and could hardley move and speak. The inablity to move had overcome me so much it was hard to see I first thought because I didnt have my glases on my mother found them and put them on me and I stil had a hard time of seeing it went on for about an hour.I was very dosoriented and new where I was . The hour during that time I had no clue of what went on the information I used on ths was from my mother  . Could you please give me an idea or someone , somewhere that I could find out what was wrong ?
Blank
Your sister-in-law sounds like she has Myasthenia Gravis - I have it and can relate to how she feels - it's what I went through before getting diagnosed.  Please check my lenghty reply to Cheryl, she was asking about having difficulty swallowing and is just a few postings previous to this one....I went 5 yrs. before they found out what I had - get her to a neurologist or internist quick...there is teatment, but as of now no cure...for now, complete bedrest is neccessary to rebuild her levels of acetacholine - but a Dr.'s care is crucial - there is a thing called "crisis" with MG - where the patient has difficulty either breathing or swallowing and must have immediate care.  Best of luck to you.  I can be reached at ***@****
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979