Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Suggestions as to how to shut off an internal critic?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Suggestions as to how to shut off an internal critic?

From my parents, I learned to be very critical of myself.  I woujld like to stop.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop this old process?
Related Discussions
Dear Chip,

Some people are more critical of themselves than others.

When people say they are self-critical it often implies they have low self-esteem.  There are a number of self-help books on the market to help with this such as the Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns, as well as many others.  You can also consider seeing a mental health professional for  a comprehensive evaluation.

Best Wishes

HFHS M.D.-SW

1 Comment
Blank
Get Feeling Good by David Burns and do the exercises in it.  I worked on it for about 6 months and no longer criticize myself.  If you do things like call yourself a loser and compare youself unfairly to others or an ideal, this book will really help you.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979