Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Suggestions as to how to shut off an internal critic?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

From my parents, I learned to be very critical of myself.  I woujld like to stop.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop this old process?
Dear Chip,

Some people are more critical of themselves than others.

When people say they are self-critical it often implies they have low self-esteem.  There are a number of self-help books on the market to help with this such as the Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns, as well as many others.  You can also consider seeing a mental health professional for  a comprehensive evaluation.

Best Wishes

HFHS M.D.-SW

Get Feeling Good by David Burns and do the exercises in it.  I worked on it for about 6 months and no longer criticize myself.  If you do things like call yourself a loser and compare youself unfairly to others or an ideal, this book will really help you.