Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Switching from Lexapro to Effexor

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Switching from Lexapro to Effexor

I have GAD with depression. I am currently taking 25mg of Lexapro and .50 mg of Xanax a day and have been for over a year. My sex drive has taken a nosedive. I am very active and normally very thin, however I have gained 20 pounds and can not lose the weight. I eat around 1500 calories a day and exercise regularly so my doctor is switching me over to Effexor and Xanax. What are your experiences with Effexor and weight gain & sexual side effects? What are your experiences with Cymbalta and weight gain & sexual side effects? Which drug do you see the best results with?
Thanks so much,
Better Than Before!
Ask your doctor to consider the old classic, Prozac.  All of the others are about the same in regard to weight gain and sexual side effects.  It's impossible to predict which ones will or will not create the side effects.  Prozac has the best record.