Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Taking prozac and I shake...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Taking prozac and I shake...

I have Depression/Anxiety/Panic Attacks (20 yrs old) and I have been taking prozac for about 3 1/2 weeks.  Now the Doctor said I probably wont start feeling the effects for about 4-6 weeks.  Before I started taking the Prozac I had panic attacks that weren't that bad, I mean know some people feel like they are having a heart attack, I didnt have that.  I would have these attacks where I would freak out, get anxious, shake really bad, and so on.  Now I shake even more!  I dont think it is the Prozac, but why do I twitch so much?  My whole body twitches, it is mostly in the morning.  I dont drink coffee, but it feels like I have a lot of caffine or something in me.  I just can't stop shaking and I was wondering if you could shed some light on the subject, thank you.
It is not uncommon for panic patients to have increased anxiety when they initially start antidepressant treatment, a syndrome named the jitteriness syndrome.  This may be what you are experiencing.  It usually goes away within a week.  Your psychiatrist can help prevent this by starting the antidepressant at a very low dose.
It is also possible that Prozac in itself is causing the side effects.  If this is the case, the adverse effect usually goes away within the first two weeks

You may want to re-consult your physician and inform him/her your concerns.