Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Tapering off Nortriptyline
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tapering off Nortriptyline

I have been on Nortriptyline for 3 1/2 years and it has helped me so much.  My husband and I have recently decided that we would like to have a baby and I know I need to be completely off of this drug.  Three weeks ago, my doctor started to taper me and as of Friday, June 27th I have been completely off of nortriptyline.  For five days I had terrible stomach cramps, nausea, and some low back pain.  After that I felt pretty good for only two days.  The symptoms (stomach cramps, nausea, back pain) have returned and I just feel terrible.  I'm just wondering if these symptoms will be going away anytime soon.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
You have already received some good advice from Jason. I would add that the three week taper is the right time, but I find that if you take the lowest dose every third day for a week at the end, then stop , you have fewer withdrawal symptoms.  If these continues, try going back that way for a week, then stop again.
2 Comments
Blank
Well, coming off tricyclic antidepressents can be very tricky.  I'm glad to hear that you have made a decision to taper off the Nortryptoline, but as you know, there are an array of discontinuation syptoms (symptoms) that occur. A lot of the time, the withdrawals from antidepressents can last from 3 weeks to a few months! I came off of Paxil and Annafranil after being on them for 23 years with the help of the "Orthomolecular" approach, which means I went to a psychiatrist that practices Orthomolecular psychiatry.  He not only created a taper schedule for me but also gave me a regimen of nutrients to take daily to combat my depression and withdrawal symptoms.  I have been off my meds for almost a year with no return symptoms of depression.  I definitely suggest you look into it!  All the best.

Jason
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank