Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Thought Disorder, Delusions, Hallucinations, Paranoia

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Are hallucinations, delusions, thought disorders, and paranoia all psychotic?  If not, would you please explain when they are not?  Especially, please tell me what a thought disorder is.

I know my doctor has told me I have delusions along with saying I have psychotic features. But now he says I have a thought disorder and I would like to know if that is psychotic, too.  Along with this, if it is psychotic, could you tell me when a thought becomes psychotic?  Like...is it the intensity or the fear accompanying it?

Thank you for your time.
By definition, psychosis is loss of reality testing with delusions and hallucinations.

Thought can be divided into process and content.
Process refers to the way in which a person puts things together. An individual may have either an overabundance or a lack of ideas. Terms like flight of ideas(used in mania), and racing thoughts are used in this criteria.

Content refers to what a person is actuallyisthinkingabout: ideas, beliefs, preoccupations, obsessions. Delusions, paranoia, phobias are included in this category.

Depending on one's presentation, a thought disorder can either be psychotic (paranoia, delusions) or not (obsessions, phobias)