Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Too much nervous energy--what to do?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Too much nervous energy--what to do?

Recently I have been suffering from panic attacks.  I went to a very good psychiatrist, and he put me on Celexa.  The Celexa is slowly working, but I can't seem to get rid of the jitters (I had them before and after the Celexa).  I've actually had a 20 minute period one night where I felt like I couldn't stop pacing (before Celexa).  Now the jitterness interferes with everyday life.  For example, I feel like I can't go to class with clicking a pen or something.  The more anxious I am, the more jittery I seem to get.  I don't think I have a problem with my thyroid, having no other symptoms of thyroid problems.  Is there anyway to get rid of this extra energy?  It seems to be slowly calming down with time, but it does interfere with everyday activities.  I used to not even want to go out (but I can now without a problem).  Thanks for taking the time to read.
Dear Y
SSRI's ( Serotonin specific reuptake inhibitors) such as  zoloft, paxil, celexa have been shown to be effective in the treatment of panic disorder. Celexa at a dose of 20-30mg is found to be most effective in te treatment of panic disorder.The most common adverse effects associated with celexa are headaches, nausea, increased sweating, dizziness, tremors,insomnia, anorgasmia etc.Jitteriness can occur with the use of SSRI's  but usually gets better after taking the medication regularly for a few days to a week.Since it is interfering with your regular activities, I would recommend that you talk to your Doctor about your concern. Good Luck to you.

Sincerely
HFHS-M.D.
I found that xanex really takes the edge off Celexa.  Talk to your doc about it.  I would definitely only recommend using it short term while your body gets used to that SSRI though.

Another more natural solution is to do some fairly strenuous exercising daily--if your health permits.  I had to get OFF Celexa because it literally robbed me of my physical strength and motivation to do any of my sports--but everyone is different.
Thanks Paul, that was great advice.  The Xanax made a BIG improvement, and it hasn't interfered with my activites (even driving).  I am also exersicing more.  I am feeling a lot better!
how do you manage nervous energy, aside from taking drugs?