Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Trazodone and Priapism

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Trazodone and Priapism

I just started taking trazodone for ensomnia and I'm concerned about priapism.  I read that it affects 1 in 10000 people.  I take it before going to sleep.  I've noticed if I wake up in the middle of the night I am semi erect.  Each morning I wake up erect as well and it takes the lenght of my shower for the partial erection to go away.  It is not painful and it does go away after I am up but still worries me after reading about priapism.  Should I be concerned or is a normal side effect of the drug?  

Priapism is such an unusal and rare side effect I don't think there is enough clinical information to answer your question.  It certainly seems to be a relatively safe drug, and your description of erections does not sound alarming to me, but if you find it gets worse, then you might consider switching medicatins.