Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Trouble concentrating / Remembering Short Term Tasks

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Hi, I have trouble with my short term memory and concentration. They did test me on some drugs when I was in 6th grade for ADD and apparently I did better. I used to walk around the classroom a lot or wander off in my mind (looking out the window) Parents didn't continue the medication.

I'm 21 and still have problems. I work hard and my results are always good, but it usually takes longer for me to complete a project and it appears to some people that I am undependable and I feel like it could hurt my career. I do graphic design for a living and it does impair me.

I feel like I'm lazy and forgetful. I wander off and do different things often. I forget to pay bills or make phone calls even after my wife reminds me all week. I just feel unmotivated. I remember certain things very clearly but other details just go out the window. I'm a very pro-active person and relatively happy person. I have read some other things and they point to depression, but I do not believe this is my problem.

Could this have something to do with ADD? What kind of medications do adults take for this? Would anything effect my creative nature? I need it for my job(s)

Thank You
- Mark
There are several medications for adult add, and there is an added benefit to you inasmuch as they also act as a stimulant so if there is any depression they will help.  Talk to your doctor about the best one for you. No, these will not affect your creative nature as long as you stick to the low dosage range.