Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Trying to Wean Off Cymbalta

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Trying to Wean Off Cymbalta

I have been taking Cymbalta (60 mg) for about 6 months now, but I have been on some form of depression medication since June of 2005.  I would like to wean myself off of the Cymbalta, but the physical withdrawal symptoms are absolutely awful!  I tried not taking my medication for a few days recently and I was very sick to my stomach, had headaches, and felt light-headed.  Mentally I feel fine without the medication, this is due to a strong support system from my family, and therapy.  I just can't get over the physical side affects of withdrawal.  I want to be done with this medication, but don't know what to do.  My husband and I would like to start a family and we are afraid that the Cymbalta could hurt the child if I continue to take it.  Any advice?
Of course you should be doing this with your doctor's supervison, but generally the right way to wean is gradually over a three week period.  You should reduce your daily dose to the minimum over the first week, take that dose every other day for the second week, then every third day for the third week, the stop, and that should do it...