Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Uncontrolled Anger
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Uncontrolled Anger

Good Morning:
  Thank you so much for this forum!  Sometimes there are questions that are just too personal to ask our doctors in person.
  My husband has what I can only call, uncontrolled anger.  He can fly into a rage over something as simple as dropping an ice cube, or not being able to find something.  This kind of rage scares me.  He did see a psychiatrist years ago who diagnosed him with Anti-social Personality Disorder...but when I read about this disease it doesn't mention "rage".
  Can you please describe what Anti-Social Personality Disorder is?
  Also what treatments are available?
  Thank you so much.
  Sharon
Related Discussions

_
Dear Sharon,
Anger can be a normal human emotion or reaction. Everyone gets angry at times.However, what you describe as "uncontrollable anger" or "rage" may be suggestive of a number of disorders including alcohol or drug abuse or dependence, Antisocial Personality Disorder, Intermittent Explosive Disorder, and mood disorders such as Bipolar Disorder(Manic Depression) or Major Depressive Disorder, to name a few.
Antisocial Personality Disorder involves a consistent pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others, occuring since age 15years, as indicated by three or more of the following: repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest;repeatedly lying or conning other people;impulsivity or failure to plan ahead;repeated physical fights or assaults;reckless disregard for safety of self or others;repeated failure to honor financial obligations;or being indifferent to having hurt or stolen from others.
Treatment of Antisocial Personality Disorder usually includes self-help groups or psychotherapy.
I hope you find this information helpful. It is provided for general medical educational purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice or consultation. Henry Ford Behavioral Services provides confidential consultation, available by calling (313)-874-6680 for an appointment.
*Keywords: alcohol, antisocial, bipolar, irritability, mania, personality  

MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
242532_tn?1269553979