Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Vitamin B12

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Vitamin B12

I've read that Vitamin B12 is good for brain chemicals such as seritonin. Is this true? if so, would it be ok taking a vitamin B12 daily supplement while taking an SSRI. I'm taking 15mg of Lexapro a day.

Thanks for your responses.

Jimmy
yes, yes.  it is okay, and yes it might be good for brain chemistry.
1 Comment
I am an inconsistent B-Complex vitamin, and when I do take the vitamin, every part of my body feels superb.... although you do have to urine quite frequently, and very urgently.  I also have more energy than when I don't take it.  For a while, I was drinking VitaminWater, taking the vitamin, drinking Powerade (which has B additives), taking a banana in the morning (potassium in the morning has incomparable effects on the brain), and not drinking Coke, or other caffeinated drinks.
There is a lot more research that needs to be done on the mechanism of B-12 absorption. It is suspected that there are two main receptor areas, below the tongue, and towards the end of the intestine, that work a little better. The sublingual B-12 plus folic acid are indicated. There is flavored B-12 liquid with folic acid that you take between meals and let it sit under the tongue for a while. If you get B-12 shots make sure the physician uses single dose vials without preservative. Some of the multiple dose B-12 injections have mercury as a preservative.
Three nutrients (folacin, vitamin B-12, and zinc) are required for cell division within any tissues of the body.  Since the role of B-12 is to render folic acid (folacin) available for key anabolic reactions, the deficiency symptoms of both folic acid and cobalamin are similar:  Anemia and accompanying paleness of skin.  A severe B012 deficit (extremely rare) may result in deterioration of nerve tissue in the spinal cord - symptoms being tingling and numbness in toes and fingrs, loss of balance and weakness (and pain) in the arms and legs.

So, how do we provide ourselves with an adequate daily supply of this vitamin?  You may want to consume animal and non animal foods.
Since animal products has significant amounts of this nutrient and
is readily stored in animals and humans adults Recommended Daily Requirement Dietary Allowance (RDA) for adults is small, three  micrograms per day.  Because we have the ability to store B-12 in
our bodies.  

Consumption of meat, milk, eggs in combination with robust amounts of grains, legumes, and other vegetables.

We must remember that vitamin B-12 is not an inherint animal-product nutrient, is only a warehouse and not the factory.