Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Weaning off of Imipramine

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Weaning off of Imipramine

I was diagnosed with Post Partum Stress when I was 7 months post partum.  I have always questioned this diagnosis as my only symptom was severe dizziness.  No other symptoms - only the dizziness.  I was first given Paxil which did nothing other than make me dizzier.  I then suggested Imipramine as my sister is on it for anxiety & it has helped her a great deal.  My dizziness did go away after taking this drug for 2 days.  I have been on it now for about 4 months.  My question is this.  I would like to get off of the drug since my husband & I would like to have another baby.  How do I go about weaning off of it?  I asked my doctor but to be quite honest I do not trust his opinion - he works at a walk in clinic & I have had many bad experiences with him - I had to tell him which meds I thought would work for me & he had no idea of the dosage so he told me to take 50 or 100mg, depending on how I was feeling, & I have learned that is not a good idea.  Anyway he told me to just stop taking it, but I fear there will be side effects if I am not weaned off of it.
What would you suggest?
Another thing I have been thinking is that my dizziness was not PPS but a side effect of all of the Fenugreek I was taking - (12 capsules a day) to increase my milk supply.  I have since learned that Fenugkreek causes low blood sugar - which would explain my dizziness.
Thank you in advance for your response.
The first thing you should do is to find a doctor you can trust. The standard program for weaning is reducing 25mg every 3-4 days, but you should have medical supervision if any complications or symptoms occur.