Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Wellbutrin Vs. Lexapro

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Wellbutrin Vs. Lexapro

Hello, I just switched from Lexapro to Wellbutrin.  I was originally taking lexapro for anxiety which I have had for the past 10 or so years.  After my daughter was born, I was then taking it for both anxiety and depression.  I normally am not a depressed person.  Now I switched to Wellbutrin because of the sexual side effects of Lexapro.  My concern is that I have felt really dopy the last couple of weeks.  Also, I would like to know if Lexapro and Wellbutrin are in the same family and if not, what is the difference.  I noticed by researching that Wellbutrin does not state that it helps with anxiety as does Lexapro.  Please help, I am really getting confused.
You have good reason to be confused...these medications are in different families, and medications like this are usually used for both anxiety and depression, both originally only depression drugs...The wellbutrin has a more minor effect on anxiety so usually not used for that.  Mostly used because there are no sexual side effects.
Wellbutrin is not a good choice for anxiety -- it can actually cause it, as it is a pure antidepressant.