Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Wellbutrin and headaches

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Wellbutrin and headaches

I have been taking Wellbutrin for the past 2.5 weeks.  The first seven days I was taking 100mg.  The next seven days I was taking 150mg.  Since this past Friday, I've been taking it twice a day (150mg at breakfast and 150mg at lunch).  Last Monday, I experienced a migraine like headache and this past Friday and Sunday I experienced the same type of headache.  I am very frustrated by this because the Wellbutrin has made me feel better, but it scares me that I'm getting these headaches.  I read somewhere that this is considered a serious side effect.

The main reason that I was put on Wellbutrin was that I was tired all the time and drugs like Zoloft, Prozac, etc. weren't helping me with my tiredness.  Also, I was on Effexor for a while, but that made me twitch and shake a lot. What should I do???
Diane,

Headache is not an uncommon side effect associated with Wellbutrin.  It is important to know if you have had headaches in the past or if the headache is due to another cause and is merely exacerbated by Wellbutrin.  I recommend you discuss this issue further with your psychiatrist to clarify this situation.  One option is to decrease the dose vs discontinuation.  There are several different antidepressants and others could be considered if needed.  Sometimes a combination of two different antidepressants can be helpful.
          Please remember that this information is intended for general educational purposes only.  Consult your physician for specific health concerns.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords: Wellbutrin, headaches