Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
What can help me???

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

What can help me???

About Me: Female, 53, Jeffersonville - PA, member since Jul 2009
I am a 53 woman with 2 grown daughters (25 &20) and suffer from Depression and Anxiety! I have suffered from this Plague most of my life dating back to a child as I can remember. My Husband is EXTREMELY supportive and helps all he can. I recently changed Med's from Effe ... [More] xor CR 300mg (?) and Wellbutrin CR 300mg to Paxil 30mg and Wellbutrin 300mg. The change to Paxil has been @ least 6 weeks ago and I just added the Wellbutrin 300mg as per Psych. I am having such anxiety and low points that I just feel like doing nothing what so ever. I am suffering. I cannot take this anxiety and depression as it affects everyone around me. I think I am also approaching Menopause as my last period was on May 23, 2009. Before that I was somewhat regular. Help!     Dorothy S. Willse.
Tags: artist, Music
The fact that you are going through menopause can be a very big factor in that means you should see your gynecologist to help you re- balance your female hormones.  You seem to be relying on medications alone and in my opinion that is not enough.  As you go through life source of your anxiety changes and some insight and understanding might help you quite a bit.
Wellbutrin, though a good antidepressant, can increase anxiety.  Paxil is designed to help both.  You might try just doing the Paxil and see if that helps.  By the way, I'm not the doctor.
My mother has a similar situation. When my younger sister, 23 at the time, got married my mother lost interest in everything and wouldn't even go out of the house. It was really hard on everyone, and we thought she was just upset over my sister getting married and leaving home. This went on for almost a year. Come to find out, her meds. had recently been changed close to my sister's wedding. She also was in the early stages of menopause so her hormones where changing. The change in meds. probably would have been ok if not for menopause. So the Dr. looked into dosages and changed the meds. again. It took her about a month to recover but it worked. This may be a little off as I am not a Dr. and I am not sure of all the particulars of the situation, but I think I got it pretty close. I hope you can get this resolved for you as well.