Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
What is the most sedating, newer Antidepressant?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I have problems with panic attacks and have tried Buspar and Effexor.  I asked my doctor which of the newer antidepressants was the most sedating.  She said that they all make claims to be; however, she didn't know.  She stated that among the older ones (tricyclics), Imipramine, was the best for sedation.  I don't want to increase my heart rate and am looking for one of the newer ones.  Any suggestions?  Have heard that Serzone is a good one, true? Thanks.
Doug,

Remeron and Serzone would appear to be the most sedating new antidepressants available. However, neither medication has been clearly shown to be effective in treating panic disorder, although there are a few reports supporting this. There are more consistent studies supporting treatment of panic disorder with the SSRIs (Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac), Effexor, or benzodiazepines (Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan). Paxil probably has the most sedative effects among the SSRIs. Buspar may have a role in the augmentation of other medications, but has not been proven to be effective for treatment of panic disorder by itself. There are studies which suggest that panic disorder is best treated with a combination of medications and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

I urge you to seek consultation with a psychiatrist who is familiar with these medications, if you are not under the care of one yet.
serzone stinks, hass too many side effects