Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
What is unspecified borderline personality traits with adjustment disor...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

What is unspecified borderline personality traits with adjustment disorder ?

Hello

I am 19 years old going on 20 next month and a MP in the Army. Very recently after a behavioural specialist in the Army sent me to a psychiatrist for evaluation (MPs must be evaluated)for self mutilation ( I have scratched my forearms with a knife before, but it was very very shallow and not intended for anyone to find out) because of the stress I was under in my platoon of being the only female, and being treated harshly because of it, also I was sexually harrassed on mpre than one occasion and on a deployment. That was my way of dealing with the stress. It is not a thing that happens all the time. Last time I did it was almost a year ago. They are trying to boot me out of the Army on a chapter 5-18 for personality disorder. Since I have not been diagnosed with this disorder, but my diagnosis was unspecified borderline personality traits with adjustment disorder, and the regs as stated in FM 27-1 ( Legal Guide for Commanders) and FM 27-14(Legal Guide for Soldiers) do you think they can do this? Does this mean I have a personality disorder or I only show of the traits of the disorder? I have looked extensivly into this, and all of the symptoms do not match. I agree I need counseling, and my Chaplain has been a great help........I do not just look at things in black in white. If I do get out I will fulfill my college dream of getting a masters. Please, help me understand what to do. My future is on the line....
TMP,

It sounds like you are going through difficult times. Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) is characterized by a pervasive pattern of instability of mood, interpersonal relationships, self image, and marked impulsivity. To make a diagnosis of BPD, five or more of the following must be present: recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilation; inappropriate and intense anger; intense and unstable mood, chronic feelings of emptiness; unstable self-image; alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation in interpersonal relationships; frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment; impulsivity in sexual activities, spending, reckless driving, binge eating, or substance abuse; and transient, stress-related paranoia or severe dissociative symptoms.

Some people have less than five of these criteria, and may be regarded as having borderline peronality traits, without meeting criteria for BPD.

Adjustment disorders are defined as emotional or behavioral symptoms that develop in response to identifiable psychosocial stressors. They may be associated with anxiety, depressed mood, and/or disturbance of conduct (e.g. fighting, reckless driving, or vandalism).

I am not familiar with Army regulations, but will encourage you to discuss your concerns further with your behavioral specialist and psychiatrist.