Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
While taking wellbrutin can I still have a cigarette from time to time?...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

While taking wellbrutin can I still have a cigarette from time to time?

This is my fith day of taking wellbrutin.  The doctor prescribed it for me to stop smoking at 150mg x2 a day. The first 3 days I took one, and this is my second day of taking 2x. I still have a craving from time to time. I do not want to increase the dosage, is it okey to still have 5 or 6 cigarettes while on wellbrutin?  Will the craving decrease after a while?
There are two answers to this. Chemically, having cigarettes and taking Wellbutrin is safe.  The other answer has to do with your strategy for smoking cessation. If you want to cut down gradually, then it is all right. Yes, the craving will decrease with time.
I recently started Wellbutrin for smoking and it took a while to kick in.... I really felt the desire for smokes go away after about 2 weeks. In fact, the Dr. said to smoke for the first 10-days to 2 weeks and THEN stop. I found that I was actually forgetting to smoke at times anyway. Though i was a very light smoker to start with.... I'm still sneaking one or two when I go out drinking with my buds.
Can anyone take it?  Do I need a prescription?  How does it work?  If I am on Paxil am I allowed to take it?  Whats its international name?  TY for your assistance.

Would you know if I need a prescription for it? I am currently taking Paxil, could I have both? Side affects? Whats its international brand name?

Thanks for your assistance
Gilad:

1. Wellbutrin is it's brand name...it's chemical name is bupropion and it's available in a regular or sustained release tablet (smoking cessation would be treated w/Wellbutrin SR 150MG)You may also find it under 'Zyban'--which is the same drug, but is indicated only for smoking cessation (It's a marketing ploy!)
2. You should check with your doctor about concomitant administration of Wellbutrin SR and Paxil...there is a risk of seizure with co-administration.
3. The side effect are roughly the same as Paxil, except there are fewer sexual side effects with Wellbutrin.

Hope this helps:
John W. (RPh)
my husband is trying to quit smoking. The doctor gave hima prescription of Wellbrutin but really no instructions on the effects or how it is suppose to work. A coworker said that he could still smoke and take the pill that it kills the craving after awhile  Is there special instructions or how does it work.