Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Xanax XR Taper

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Xanax XR Taper

I have seen questions related to the tapering of the withdrawal of regular Xanax tablets but have not seen answeres regarding the taper from Xanax XR. I am on Xanax XR (which I think is a wonderful drug which has helped me with my panic disorder and slight agoraphobia). When a patient tapers off this drug how does that work since the lowest dosage seems to be .5 mg? For a slow taper would a doctor use immediate release xanax? Is there an axample of a a schedule for taper say for a patient taking 1MG for 8 weeks?

Thank you in advance
Xanax is a particularly difficult drug to get off, but if you are talking about 1 mg/day for 8 weeks, it should not be very hard..best and safest schedule is still over a three week period...take one half a mg for  a week,; then same dose every other day for a week; then same dose or lower every third day, then stop. You should ask your doctor if you have any other condition that might predispose you to seizures, if so, the doctor should cover you with medication for the last week, and the week following.
Thanks for your post. I received the same information from my Dr. I am now on every other day of .5 and other than the light headedness, seems like it is OK.

Thanks for the info