Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Xanax and Neurontin

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Xanax and Neurontin

My mom has been having lots of headaches recently and was put on neurontin. She sometimes takes xanax.  Are these two drugs safe to be taken together or should she not take the xanax.  I read where some peole substitute neurontin for xanax so I am concerned.

Hi.

It is usually advised to monitor the response to a combination of Xanax and Neurontin. In the elderly, it is advisable to keep the doses adequate enough to have the desired clinical effect. The concern is about a possible clouding of consciousness. Potentially harmful activities such as driving may be avoided, since they require sustained alertness.

Regards
I take both these medications and have for a long time without problem.
Neurontin is a pretty safe drug so she shouldn't have problems.
She may find that she no longer needs xanax after taking neurontin for awhile.
I'm sure her doctor will advise her on the use of both these medicatons.
Sorry to hijack the post, but was wondering about your experience with neurontin.  My psychiatrist is thinking about it for my anxiety, since nothing is working since a terrible and weird and untreated Paxil withdrawal four years ago.  And to the poster, she says it's okay to take with klonopin, if that's any help, since I'm on klonopin and asked her about that.
I take neuronton for Polyneuropathy. It's been progressive and so has the nerve pain.
I haven't experienced any side effects from it and it does seem to have somewhat of a calming effect on the nerves.
I'd give it a try if nothing else has worked.
Let me know how it works out or if I can answer any other questions.