Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Zoloft and headache, grinding teeth - will this subside over time?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I have been taking 25 mgs. zoloft, prescribed for depression and panic disorder, for approx. 3 weeks. I also take .5-1 mg klonopin for panic. In the past, I have been treated with prozac, paxil and effexor. All were ineffective, and I seemed to have a very low tolerance for side effects (effexor was especially awful).
While I am currently taking only 25 mgs. of zoloft, I have already noticed improvement in my mood and anxiety. However, I have developed a severe headache, clenching jaw, grinding teeth, and neck, facial and shoulder tension. I am positive this is from the zoloft, and I did NOT have these symptoms when I was taking only klonopin. The headache does not subside and I have tried everything from Tylenol, to excedrin, to drinking a lot of water, not drinking caffeine, drinking more caffeine, exercise.
Is there anything (muscle relaxer??) that my pdoc can prescribe in conjunction w/ zoloft to help with the headache and teeth grinding? I have read that some people take neutronin? I already have a mouth guard but I still grind when I wear it. I would like to continue on the zoloft, as this is the only thing that has helped me. The other zoloft side effects (nausea, dizziness, etc.) have diminished with time. Will the headache diminish as well?
Thank you for your help.
You are taking a low dose of Zoloft. It still can cause headaches,but these should also diminish. If not, another antidepressant, celexa, may be worth a try.