Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
Zoloft withdrawal, some odd side effects...

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I recently began experiencing some really crazy symptoms and this was within the same week that I went off Zoloft, kind of weaning myself off. I came on here and discovered someone else who had posted exactly what I was going through. I am going to quote it here word for word because I want input, I want to know how long it took Amy F. to feel better:

"What are the withdrawal symptoms of ZOloft? I'm a 27-year old female and have been taking Zoloft for chronic depression for a year and a half and decided not to take it anymore....

"I abruptly stopped 10 days ago and am starting to feel crazy. I'm light-headed, dizzy, disoriented, sleepy, irritable, and more emotional than usual. I'm having difficutly concentrating. Today I didn't feel "together" enough to drive my car. My nightmares have worsened in terms of intensity and violence (I have them every time I sleep) The strangest symptom withdrawal I've noticed is that I'm losing my taste for cigarettes."

"....I haven't discussed stopping with my psych... b) she gives me **** for being a daily pot smoker."

This is almost exactly a description of me, except I've only been on it for about six months, I took a week to wean myself off, and I am supposed to start a new presciption for Prozac, but these synptoms are terrible, (it's also starting to affect my breathing) and I wondered if anyone else has experienced this.

For answers to your questions, please refer to a post titled "Withdrawal symptoms from Celexa" by Ann on 4/7/00, with my response dated 4/12/00.

I know what you mean about your Doc giving you ****. My psychiatrist refuses now to treat me as an out-patient for alcohol withdrawal even though I tried her idea of going into a mental psych ward in-patient facility which was nothing more than a joke. The caretakers did not even know what the DT's are and stood by and laughed and joked while I had two alcohol withdrawal seizures. I have partial seizures from the withdrawal, Jacksonion march type as they call it but more tonic clonic in nature almost partial status I do not completely go unconscious. A sleep study revealed three seizures in a row just last week.

My psych Doc will no longer give me anything that is addictive, and the benzos are the main thing to treat alcohol withdrawal which she admits is life threatening. They also are best for anxiety which she claims I have major depression and a najor anxiety disorder.

I tried Celexa, similar to Zoloft only Zoloft has more side effects and Celexa is the newest of the SSRI's. I had bad withdrawal for about one week after I stopped taking it for having severe diahrea for over one month: a side effect.

The withdrawal was similar to your experience with zoloft only mine also included nausea and vomiting for five days. Could have been part due to Klonopin withdrawal which is what I was taking at the psych ward before I checked myself out after going into seizures and DT's and got no help from the staff there. I felt I was safer withdrawing at home. I can shake down and go delirius there and at least be much more comfortable.

The only thing I am on now is Neurontin for the seizures.
Jessica, I am experiencing the exact same thing now!  I was just searching the web for answers about how I'm feeling.  I accidentally missed two doses of Zolft and was barely able to get out of bed.   I laid on the couch all day and could barely stay alert to what my 2 year old was doing.  I felt so guilty that I was being a bad mom, but I couldn't physically get myself going.  I started to realize that it might have something to do with the drugs and discovered that I had inadvertantly missed two days worth.  It has been five days now and I still don't feel normal.  I feel out of it, like my body and mind aren't cooperating and I feel nauseau, like I'm constantly feeling car sick.  I also felt like I couldn't breath and thought maybe I was having a panic attack.  My throat feels tight like I'm not getting enough air and my head aches constantly.  The emotions come and go and strange thoughts come to mind.  It has to be zoloft withdrawal.  Funny, there doesn't seem to be any expert information on the subject.  Thanks for sharing so that I don't feel like it's all in my mind.
Jessica, I am experiencing the exact same thing now!  I was just searching the web for answers about how I'm feeling.  I accidentally missed two doses of Zolft and was barely able to get out of bed.   I laid on the couch all day and could barely stay alert to what my 2 year old was doing.  I felt so guilty that I was being a bad mom, but I couldn't physically get myself going.  I started to realize that it might have something to do with the drugs and discovered that I had inadvertantly missed two days worth.  It has been five days now and I still don't feel normal.  I feel out of it, like my body and mind aren't cooperating and I feel nauseau, like I'm constantly feeling car sick.  I also felt like I couldn't breath and thought maybe I was having a panic attack.  My throat feels tight like I'm not getting enough air and my head aches constantly.  The emotions come and go and strange thoughts come to mind.  It has to be zoloft withdrawal.  Funny, there doesn't seem to be any expert information on the subject.  Thanks for sharing so that I don't feel like it's all in my mind.***@****.
I have quit taking my 50mg Zoloft.  It has been 8 days and the withdrawal is unbearable for me.  This is the 4th time I have decided to quit and the longest I have been able to suffer the symptoms.  I started the Zoloft for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and depression but want to have a baby and do not want it to affect my child.  My symptoms are: I cannot move my eyes in their sockets without becoming dizzy and hearing sounds. I can turn my head comfortably as long as I keep my eyes still all the time. This effect increases toward evening.  I feel like I have bugs crawling on my legs, I am tired, irritable, angry and disoriented.  When I speak, my words are turned around and I cannot remember much from one day to the next.

I told my doctor the last time I attempted to quit that there are some major issues with Zoloft withdrawal and he was surprised!  He suggested I was experiencing the flu!

Can someone give me some advice on how to alleviate these symptoms?.  My doctor tells me there is no withdrawal - but I know there is.  This was my first shot at anti-depressant and I am having big regrets about ever starting it!
After having ovarian cancer, and two operations in l987 I immediately experienced hot flashs and depression, my cholosteral shot up to over 8, and I wanted to just quit.  My doctors did not want me to use anything for a while to be sure that if any form of cancer returned it would not be because of any medications I was taking.  For three and a half years I took nothing and suffered terribly.  Finally I asked to get something to stop the hotflashs and depression, didn't know how high the cholosteral was.  I was put on Premerin at .625, now I take 2.5 every day, also I have to take zoloft for the depression, I tried to get off of it but was so withdrawn and misirable I decided to go back on it.  I take 50 ml daily.  I also was put on zocore to bring the cholosteral level down, it did that, and now it is below 4.5. At first I was on 20 ml, but have be on l0 ml for quite a while.  I also have to take 325 ml of asprin daily as I have had eye problems, blurr vision, and sometimes cannot read as letters are missing and I cannot figure out what is right there in front of me.  Doctor (eye) said it was migraines and that the aspirin would help to keep the blood flowing in the vessels in the back of my eyes incase a piece of cholosteral was lodged there.  The eye doctor said this was a very common condition and nothing to really worry aboue (ya). but when I experienced a loss of vision in one eye that that was dangerous unless the vision came right back and whatever was blocking it moved on.  I experience a weakness in my entire body that will last two to three days, and then like a miracle I am back to my old self and ready to go.  I have shortness of breath and cannot do any strenous excercise or anything that takes much exertion.  After reading some of the letters send in I am almost certain that a lot of what I am feeling has to do with the pills I must take everyday just to be able to get up in the morning.   I don't know what the answer is, stop everything and feel like dying, or keep on taking all of these quick cures and hope for the best.  Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Unfortunately when we feel bad or hurt we want whatever will make us feel better.   I would love to be able to stop taking  all of the pills I take daily, but know that I have become so dependant on them that it is a way of life.  I am 58 years old and also have disk and knee arthritis, and various other problems, so what do I do, right keep popping the pills and hope for the best.  Good luck to everyone out there who is in the same position and worse, I know your delima and hope that eventually you will find relief from and dependancy from these medications that help, and yet hurt us.  I sign off and hope that your quality of life will improve with knowledge.

i wuz just wondering if this is a possible side effect:
I'm an 18 year old female taking zoloft for almost a year now and i tried to get off it last month after i had my period.and i wuz off it for a week but then started to feel horrible again like all zombish and dead so i had to get back on it the next week. well here i am a month later and still taking...but i am 5 dayz late on my period this month. and i am usually so regular. i wuz just wondering if that is a possible side effect.somebody pleez help. thanx.
I am a 45 yr old female who was prescribed Zoloft for PMS two years ago and it has been worked great.  However, earlier this year when I abruptly stopped taking Zoloft, I began having very scary and unusual problems such as electrical shock sensations in my head, diziness, dis-orientation,inability to concentrate, and loose stools among other things. I asked a Dr. about my symptoms, and he was clueless on whether my symptoms could be connected to Zoloft. I was very frightened, because no one seemed to know what was wrong with me.  I was so alarmed that I made an appointment with a neurologist.  Before my appointment with the neurologist, I started taking the Zoloft again and my symptoms disappeared, that's when I realized that I had been suffering from Zoloft withdrawal.  I looked at a number of web sites on ZOloft, and could not find anything about my symptoms occuring as side effects of the drug, or anything about how to stop taking it.  I saw a segment on 20/20 Friday night (8/25/00) about anti-depressant withdrawal, and realized that many  people have suffered from it.  After viewing 20/20, I typed in "Zoloft withdrawal" and found this web site.
I too experienced almost all the above mentioned withdrawal side effects from Zoloft.  I took my last dose on a Friday the day I began a nine day at home vacation.  I must have spent more time in bed than upright.  I too did not feel comfortable driving.  I had to ask my daughter to drive me or have her run errands.  I was so sick the entire week. The second week I was almost back to my old self. In the above mentioned replies, people did not indicate how long and what dose they were taking.   I was on only 75 mg.a day.  I started nine months ago on 50 mg. and upgraded about four months later.   I took myself off Zoloft because my skin doctor could not explain a head rash that I have had for four months.  His tests did not reveal anything.  Then I introduced the possibility of a side effect to Zoloft.  He said there was a mention in the side effects but it was so rare he did not think the rash was a side effect to Zoloft.  I took myself off of it to see if the rash cleared.  It has been about three weeks and the rash has decreased a lot. I would like to know more about weight gain being on Zoloft and what happens to the gain after the drug  is entirely out of your system.
I can't believe what I've been reading about other people's withdrawal symptoms from zoloft and other SSRI's.I've been on and off these meds for about 5 years now.Prozac was my first introduction and I was taking it for a complusive disorder and then came to find out that I was able to handle a few of the daily stresses in my life a little better. Besides experiencing a few of the side effects of being a little sleepy to being unable to stay awake long enough to drive 20mins to work, to gaining 25 lbs I thruoght these were the tickets to happiness I've always been looking for in life.I've also been in 12 step programs for over 20 yrs and and have used professional theraipsts over the years.
     The best part is when I wanted to try and do without the meds because I felt that things were going alright for me again. Oh my this is when the dizzyness started along with increased anxiety ,unable to want to get out of bed, severe bouts of uncontrollable crying and various degrees of suicidal throughts.So my doctor would try me on something new and I've been on ,to mention a few Prozac,Zoloft,Paxil,Luvox,Effexor,Serzone and busbar.
      The worst was when I was trying to come off the paxil earlier this year. Reducing my dosage over a period of 4 weeks and I was only on 10mg a day to begin with.I had been on it for only appox 4months when I wanted to get off the SSRI's all together.Previous to this I had been on zoloft for about 3years and found out that the zoloft was not being as effective as it had been in the past. I had never experienced depression and the side effects that I've mentioned above in my life before taking this medication. I throught that I had problems before I started these meds 5 yrs earlier. I was bound and determined to do this with my 12 step programs and with the help of my therispt but had to go back on the zoloft in April again to get rid of these awlful side effects. I believe I am over my orginal condition and would like to get off of these meds but just don't want to take the risk of going thru these withdrawal symptoms again. Also my employer would not torelete me leaving work for another 2 months . I will give my doctor some of this info I 've being reading because when I told him some of the withdraw symptoms he said he had not heard of them before.
Hello. I am currently taking Zoloft for chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia. I am on 75 mgs currently, and I started taking Zoloft about six months ago. I haven't noticed any difference in my health except bad things. I had trouble sleeping before, but it has worsened; I am very restless; I am always tired no matter how much sleep I get (which was already a symptom before I started Zoloft); and I am very edgy some days, which isn't like me at all. Seeing that taking Zoloft has not improved my conditions, I am thinking about asking my doctor to take me off of it and try something different, such as acupuncture, which I have researched and many people with my diseases have found it to be helpful. As of right now I am doing research on withdrawal symptoms so I know what to be aware of if and when I do go off this anti depressent. But so far I haven't come across anyone who is taking it for these diseases, only for anxiety disorders and depression and things like that. If there is anyone out there who is taking it for other reasons, please contact me. My e-mail is ***@****    Thank you for your time!
I am 19 years old and have back pain which won't go away.I was on zoloft for about a year and than I justed stop. I felt happy and content. When I was having some issues about four monthes later, while I was trying to deal with them, I emotionally fell flat on my ***. So, I went back on them. The doctor perscribed me a higher dose and said that I'd have to be on this dose for at least a year. Then I could probably lower my dose. My doc said that if I continue to smoke maryjane I will have to take this **** for the rest of my life and the dose could get increased if I have a relaps. One of the side effects from taking zoloft is muscular inflamation (inflammation) or muscle spasms. My back is always tight,tense and in pain. A comfortable sleep is hard to come by. Zoloft can also cause disruption in sleep. My questoin is why don't we have more info on these side effects and is this medication really worth the money and the side effects.
I, too, am currently weaning myself off a 6 year Zoloft treatment (200 mgs/day for the last 5 of those year) and am having all those symptoms described above, but super industrial strength.  My doctor wasn't very supportive of me going off either, but he's monitoring the weaning off:  I can only reduce my dose by 25 mg per month.  He says I shouldn't be having any withdrawal symptoms coming off that slowly, but he is wrong wrong wrong.  Whenever I complain about feeling weird or shaky (Zoloft was prescribed initially for panic disorder) he just tells me it's the resurgence of the anxiety and that I should increase my dosage.  He just cannot accept the fact that I want off this stuff.  Six years is a long time to take any drug and after reading "Prozac Backlash" I'm very afraid of long term use.  There aren't enough people who've been on SSRIs for more than five years to do a meaningful study, so we're basically on our own out here.  Would be interested to hear any other experiences of long-term users.
I to looked to the internet regarding my withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms from Zoloft.  I recently got off of this medication which I took for a year and half for panic attacks.  I was weened off of it under care of my doctor.  It has been very hard.  I also have had alot of dizziness and have noticed my temper isnt that great.  I am thinking of going back on it eventhough I have not had any panic attacks.  It's a wonderful medication for this particular illness but I guess like any anti-depressant there are side effects from withdrawls
I have been searching for the symptoms of getting off the Zoloft and came to this site. I find it interesting because a lot of it is what I am experiencing right now. I'm exhausted all the time, I couldn't even walk up a flight of 5 steps today, my bf had to carry me up because I just couldn't do it. Yet I cannot get to sleep, and when I do, I sleep hard for hours until it's about 1pm and my father comes in a wakes me up. (I'm almost 20 in case you're wondering about that) Luckily I don't have a job at the moment because I can't handle one right now. No one will hire me knowing that I'm going to be out sick about 3 days out of 5. I am very edgy, the littlest thing sets me off, and I've been crying over everything. I'm very confused all the time, it takes my mind a few minutes to realize what someone is saying to me and then a few more minutes to think of something to respond back with. I have lost my appetite completely, my body hurts, and I keep getting headaches only on my right side. I get shooting pains down my arms and legs, I can't keep my balance nor even walk in a straight line. I am calling my doctor about it tomorrow, seeing I'm not even fully off of the Zoloft yet. I got up to 75 mgs and it wasn't helping (I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia), so I'm going off the Zoloft and he wants me to try this other kind of anti depressent called Effexor. Right now I am on 25mgs every other day and if it's this bad, I can't imagine how it will be when I'm off of it completely. If anyone has any info please write me at ***@**** Thank you!
To Pat: and all who have listed your withdrawl (withdrawal) from Zoloft or what ever -
On Zoloft for nearly 3 years, not living just dragging from one day to the next in this fog.  No energy which added to an already current weight problem that I had under control until I became so fatigued from the Zoloft.  Even on the medication dizzie, lack of concentration ability, the electrical shock sensation if I moved my head or stood up.  No personal life missed the first year of my only grandchilds life and the last year of my fathers life.  Its all just a faint memory of bits and pieces ......... nearly destroyed my marriage because I could not connect with anyone.  I talked to my doctor who said to increase my dose that it was depression!!  It was all down hill from there......I don't remember all but I know somewhere in my self I found the strength to slowly lower the dose - the withdrawl (withdrawal) was tramatic......spinning, shockie...spaced...disconnected from everything I really don't know how I went through it.. I just kept praying and saying all things are possible through Christ who strengthens me.   I did research on the herb St Johns wart and began taking one pill per day after two full weeks off the Zoloft.  I still had the electrical shock feeling but it became less and less in time.  I started a serious health kick with lots of fresh veggies and fruit water and a general cleansing of my body to try and detoxify my system.  I have been on the St John Wart for about a year and no side effects but a wonderful controled feeling and no depression.  I have been hit with many ups and downs in the past year and have handled them very well and I am proud of my progress.  I feel angary at my doctor and the medical industry that these little pills are protrayed as the fix all feel goodies that they are.  The real truth is they cause more pain and suffering than you had when you went to seek help.  They are making millions off people like us who have a chemical imbalance and perhaps less coping skills or maybe not, just that we were niavie enough to really think there was a pill soulotion.  Its all good advertising and we bought it folks its called marketing!
I feel robbed, cheated and aged by 10 years for what Zoloft put me through.  I hope my struggle and experience may help someone else.  God bless you all. e-mail ***@****
cscdcdzx
I am currently withdrawing from Zoloft, and my main effect is an odd perceptual feeling, almost a feeling of being under a strobe light.  I call this a "ping-ing" feeling, and someone above described it as an electrical shock feeling.  And I can't think of words.  And rather severe diarrhea.
I went off my 50 mg zoloft dosage one week ago, after taking it daily for just under 3 months. My doctor prescribed it to me for bulimia, anxiety, and major depression, all of which diminished while on the drug. Things were going well until I started noticing inexplicabe weight gain, and after reading on the web about people's weight increases while on zoloft I decided to stop before i gained any more. Basically quit cold turkey, without consulting my doctor, and since then i've been experiencing similar withdrawal symptoms. At first I thought it was related to the flu, but it's lasted too long at this point. I feel extremely light-headed, disoriented, unable to focus or concentrate, and increasingly emotional. I also feel that at times it's unsafe for me to be driving. I am surprised b/c i was only on 50mg for less then 3 months and didn't think i would have trouble coming off it. I finally called my doctor who said my symptoms weren't related to the zoloft...hard to believe after reading everyone else's responses! Why don't doctors know about the withdrawal effects of the drugs they're prescribing? I would love to know how long this is going to last and if there's anything i can do to alleviate the dizziness in the mean time!
I have been on Paxil in the past and have currently stoppped taking Zoloft because I found out recently that I am expecting my second child.  

When I came off Paxil, it was because I was pregnant with my first child.  I weaned myself off extremely slowly, going down from 30mg to 20mg to 10mg to 5mg and then off.  Two days after I went completely off I experienced the worst vertigo.  I could not change positions or turn my head quickly because I would become very dizzy suddenly.  I missed two days of work and ended up having to crawl around my home, the dizziness was so bad.  

This time around, I am off of Zoloft and am experiencing similar dizziness but not to the severe extent that I did with Paxil.  It is crazy that doctors do not conduct more studies on possible withdrawal patients go through.  If anyone out there is taking themselves off their medication without a docs guidance, be careful and go very slowly.  Quitting cold turkey can leave you begging for help.  If SSRIs do not cause withdrawal symptoms as doctors claim, then why do they always stress weaning off the drugs?  

Also each time I have taken a SSRI (Paxil and Zoloft), I have gained weight both times.  My doctor thinks there is no connection, but it seems way too coincidental.  My mother, sister, and brother have also taken SSRIs and each has gained weight as well.  Coincidence, I think not!
I've been weaning off zoloft for about two weeks now and I am experiencing some scary symptoms. The reason I've given up zoloft is because I was waking up in the middle of the night feeling really anxious. I thought it might be a reaction from the zoloft. The first week I would wake up extremly nausea and fluish. I had diarhea (diarrhea), dizziness, and a feeling of disorientation. It has now been two and half week and I'm still experiencing these symptoms. From reading all of these replys it has lead me to belive that I am having side effects from zoloft.

I just want to say that I too have gone through the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms of Zoloft.  When I am on Zoloft I am completely great I have no side affects as far as I can tell.  
I could not get my prescription for 4 days once, they were the days from hell.  I could not stand up or turn my head without getting dizzy. I felt like I had the flu. I had to call out of work, I thought I was going to lose my job. The worst thing is that my doctor had no idea what I was talking about, I couldn't even get a doctor's excuse. I just hate having a drug in control of me, I don't know if I will ever be able to go off Zoloft.
Anyone wishing to learn the truth about one of the initial FDA studies that approved Zoloft should read this posting. I was in one of those studies and comlained loudly that the long term side effects were horrible. If your severe side effects last anything less than 3 years, you are very, very lucky. Pharmaceutical companies are interested in publishing the truth, only a profit. If you have had serious side effects after trying to withdraw from Zoloft, please contact me:

***@****

I will be happy to help you sue Pfizer. If you are considering taking Zoloft, DON'T.

-don
I'm on vacation with my brother and forgot my zoloft at home. It's been four days and I have five more days to go. I am so sick I don't know what to do. I was wondering if there was anything I could take to hold off the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms until I can get home on monday. :-(
When I ran out of Zoloft, it took about a day and a half to start noticing withdrawal symptoms (I take 75 mg a day).

The first thing that started to happen was dizziness, light headedness and these weird 'jitters'. By 'jitters' I mean I felt like I got a jolt through my body every few minutes. The longer I was off the Zoloft, the worse the 'jitters' got.

Zoloft may allow me to deal with life, but I completely lost any desire for sex and I always feel like my life is a dream. Also, I have extreme difficulty concentrating.  

Since I explained to my psychiatrist these symptoms, she has put me on 150 mg of Wellbutrin to boost my energy levels and hopefully restore my sexdrive. Personally I just feel like I'm being drugged more than helped.

Wow!
I'm a 27yo woman.  Been on Zoloft for about 18mos, following severe depression.  My psych and my PCP sent me to a neurologist after I started dribbling food on myself, "dropping" words, and losing small motor skills; neuro/psych guy diagnosed depression and I started on 50 mg, working up to 100 mg.  
It helped TREMENDOUSLY...more than I would've thought possible.  I've always been more than a little leery of treating emotional disorders with meds, but I'm a believer now!  With an appropriate diagnosis and the right Rx, these drugs really do work.  that doesn't mean they're not over-used or inappropriately prescribed, but I really believe Zoloft made the difference for me...went from a really bad downhill spiral into functionality.  I finished school, got my medical license, and have dealt with various personal stressors like a *normal* person.  Like I did before the depression.  I've been really, really pleased.  Had some trouble with my libido at first, but that resolved on its own.
Took it for about a year, talked w/my doc about going off (just to see what happened) and she recommended I wait until spring.  Missed a few doses (at first accidental, then "just to see") and was FLOORED by side effects.  Went back on my meds like a good girl.
Now, our insurance policy is changing and the paperwork (surprise!) is taking longer than it should.  This drug is incredibly expensive if you don't have insurance: $128 for 30 day supply at 150mg.
I thought I'd try a reduced dosage for a few days until the insurance came through, and have been getting steadily worse for the past 5 days.  
Physical side effects: the electric shock feeling others have described, incredible dizziness when I change position, and a kind of fullness in my head that makes it difficult to think.  Really hard time with my small motor skills...my typing is slower and lots less accurate (have to backspace a lot) and I'm dropping things unless I'm very careful.  
Emotional side effects: irritable, suspicious (just *sure* my lover's trying to leave me), lack of confidence in myself (of course, this might be the right attitude to have, given my lack of physical abilities), and difficulties with coordination (putting one foot in front of the other).
I don't feel depressed, I feel like an addict in withdrawal.  The medical literature does not describe these "side effects" & my doc acts like she doesn't really believe that I'm having these problems as a result of Zoloft withdrawals.  
At first I just planned on going back on the drug after the insurance kicked in.  Now I vacillate between going straight to the pharmacy and just paying for the %&!@ stuff myself and resolving to NEVER take it again.  
Some things that have helped me cope:
acting normal/pushing myself to perform normal daily activities like doing the dishes, getting up in the morning, brushing my teeth, etc.  
Exercise--I think the natural endorphins help your brain equalize.  
Alcohol--not the smartest thing, maybe, but it seems to help if I have a shot of Bailey's in my cocoa...maybe I'm just better able to deal with feeling disoriented if I'm tipsy.

It's also helpful to read that others are going through the same weird situation.  When you're diagnosed with an emotional disorder, even when you're surrounded by supportive people who are well-informed and act nonjudgemental, it's hard not to judge yourself sometimes.  Our culture really associates illness (of any kind) with character flaws.  Having an anonymous forum for expressing my feelings and experiences really helps.

Thanks!
I stopped taking Celexa six days ago. It was prescribed for menepausal symptoms including night sweats, insomnia, irritability and irregular & painful menses.  After four months on Celexa, I decided to come off. I am always tired, have gained 10 pounds, but most distressing of all, I am chronically constipated.  Since stopping the druug in the last six days, I have developed flu like syptoms (symptoms), an acute dizziness, and an irritable bowel; Explosive diarrhea and bowel distention (read: the bloats--can't zip my pants comfortably) are the worst problems. My eyes are extremely scratchy feeling and I'm exhausted and yawning by midday. My irritability has returned but I am managing to keep it under control (just barely). I have had various sleep disturbances, including vividly negative dreams and numerous   awakenings during the night for no apparent reason. I exercise, eat nutrionally balanced meals and am moderate in my habits. I suppose this will take some time
to leave my system and it is what it is. Unfortunatly, these significant physical and emotional disturbances were not laid out for me as a patient starting the prescription. I think I will work on the symptoms from a diet angle and try to forgive myself and go easy these next few weeks. Hope my family can too (-:
i just thought i would add along with the million other comments that i experienced most of those same side effects as well.  i started taking zoloft last march for depression, which turned out to be borderline personality disorder.  i took it for a month and then i went through a week in which i experienced no depression, so i stopped taking it because i didn't think it was really doing anything- i thought i was just better.  i had only been on 50mg, which is a very weak dose, but after i stopped i would get odd experiences whenever i moved up/down/right/left.  it was like when you spin around until you're dizzy and then you stop but the room keeps moving and your body feels like it is, too. every time i moved and then stopped, i felt as though i was still moving. my eyes didn't match up with my body, and i saw everything kind of "delayed."  i was scared, so i decided to go back on zoloft, and the symtoms (symptoms) stopped.  however, they come back if i miss even 2 doses of it.  it's bizarre.  i don't even want to take zoloft anymore, but i am afraid to stop and let those weird experiences come back.
Zoloft withdrawl (withdrawal) has been very difficult for me.  I am not convinced that discontinuing this drug at a slower pace makes much of a difference to the mentioned symptoms. After taking Zoloft for one and a half years, I chose to stop taking it and try alternative methods.  I decreased my dose, which was 150mg per day, over a three week period. I incurred most of the mentioned withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms.  They started right away and have remained now for one and a half months.  The symptoms are subsiding a great deal for the most part, but some days can still be very bad.  The day after my last pill I started taking L-5-hydroxy Tryptophan, 100mg, 3 times per day.  I tried a couple of brands, different combinations and settled with Solaray's L-5-hydroxy Tryptophan plus vitamins B-6 and C.  I believe this natural dietary supplement, which has given me no side effects, is for now my best source of help.  It does take one to three months to kick in, but it truly has been my God send.  There is lots of info available, via internet and books. Please research it, it may change your life forever.  You may respond to this at ***@****  God bless you and may He be your main source.
Well obviuosly like everyone else I am experiencing the side effects of going off Zoloft.  I started taking Zoloft in April of 1997 because I would become extremely suicidal just before my period.  This had been happening since I first experienced my period at age 10 and at age 25 I was still experiencing this.  I thought I was just a lost cause.  Little did I know until my boyfriend stated that it only would happen during this time.  My OB/GYN put me on 25mg.  You would think as a psychologist myself I would notice these changes in my body.  Sometimes it is easier to notice these tihngs in others.
  Anyway, I have been experiencing severe finacial hardship, not being able to find a job anywhere despite my Master's Degree. Because I have had no health insurance for over 3 years, I have had to pay out-of-pocket for my Zoloft.  Well I can no longer afford the $150 or so a month and had to quit cold turkey about 4 weeks ago.  I am 28 years old and I feel like I could loose control at any moment.  I keep getting dizzy and couldn't figure it out.  Orthostatic hypotension, a tumor on my brain?  I could not find any answers until I found this page.  I am a psychologist for crying out loud and could not find any information anywhere on antidepressent withdrawal and its side effects.  Is that nuts?  
Here is what I am experiencing: creepy crawling sensations, crabbiness, neck tightening, migraines, headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea after eating, loss of memory, increased negative thought, suicidal ideation, insomnia, crazy dreams and nightmares, chills, anxiousness, irritability, crying spells, increased anxiety, inability to want to get out of bed, and a feeling of strangeness.  I kept thinking to myself 'Is this what I really am?  A big old mess that can not control herself? Was I like this before the meds?'
  How long do these effects stay and can I get by one day without feeling like I want to kill myself?
It just goes to show that even the professionals like myself that are keenly aware of depression and other disorders are battling this as well.
Please help:
Tobie'***@****
Hi I went off Zoloft 5 days ago and have been haveing numbness, headachs, dizziness, I spent 6 hours in the hospital and they said I have a kiddney infection, Because i had pain in my back and the test said I did. They did a Ct test and it was normal. I have a 6 year old and I was sleepy all the time more after i went on it then before. So I went off it I could not put my son at risk Because I was sleepy. I am very upset that the doctor or pharmacist did not tell me about this med. I was only on it for 3 mounths. I go to the doctor Monday and I am not a mean person but when it comes to some one mot telling me what the meds would do to me to were it hurt the well being of me and my son that makes me upset. So I am going to find a different doc and I am thinking about getting a lawyer, I could not even walk the other day it scared me and my son. I hope all of you do the same and I hope you all start to feel better. as i read all your messages it make me angry that this people did this to all of us.
Thank you for letting me tell you all about this.
I am currently suffering the debilitating side affects of Zoloft withdrawal.  Much of what I've read here really rings close to home and I have to say it's really irritating that there isn't a lot of medical data out there that explains all of this.  I want to highly recommend to everyone who's taking, considering taking or has taken SSRI's that you consider reading the book "Prozac Backlash" by Dr. Joseph Glenmullen.  He has done extensive research on the effects of these drugs and the withdrawal affects.  This is the first information I have come across that's actually written by a medical professional.  I have to admit, it's nice to know someone has taken the time to research this subject, yet it's still very irritating at the lack of knowledge most medical professionals have (or want to have) with regards to the side affects of these drugs.  

I can't say the book totally helped me because it can't change the fact that I was ever on Zoloft and the affects that I've suffered from it.  But it's nice to see that documentation is starting to become available from actual medical professionals and it's nice to see I'm not completely crazy for what I'm experiencing.  My own doctor seemed pretty clueless.  

-Jen
***@****
One thing I want to add here for everyone.  In Dr. Glenmullen's book "Prozac backlash" he lists the most common effects of SSRI withdrawal as follows:

1.  Disequilibrium (e.g., dizziness, spinning sensations, swaying, or difficulty walking)

2.  gastrointestinal symptoms (e.g., nasea, vomiting)

3.  flu-like symptoms (e.g., fatigue, lethargy, muscle pain, chills)

4.  sensory disturbances (e.g., tingling, electric shock sensations)

5.  sleep disturbances (e.g., insomnia, vivid dreams)

this can be found on page 72 in his book.

I have to say I've been experiencing number 1 full force now for the entire week I've been off Zoloft.  I've had symptoms of 2, 3 and 4 as well.

-Jen
***@****
I think there's a good chance that what you're experiencing right now is not what you were like before the meds.  My aunt went off Zoloft after having been on it for 5 years and it took her six weeks before she felt somewhat normal again.  I've been on it since I was 17, I am now 23 and now I've been off it for a week.  It's been one hellish week.  I haven't actually run out. I'm getting to the point where I feel like taking just a little bit just to get through tonight.  But then I just worry about prolonging the withdrawal affects.  One thing I'd like to say though, since you're suicidality was primarily due to you period:  there's another option if you're open to using birth control.  My depression was not cause by my period but it did worsen around my period.  Now I don't get a period anymore.  I used to have such painfully debilitating periods that they kept me out of work.  I used to take the tri-phase type of birth control pills.  But my periods were still horrible.  I've been tested for every possible cause of painful periods except for endometriosis for which they would have to make an incision and go inside me.  My doctors kept trying different pills and finally one day my ob/gyn put me on a monophasic pill called Necon.  The first month I was on it I didn't get my period for the week I was on the sugar pills.  Of course I was somewhat concerned so I got a pregnancy test, it was negative, I went to my dr to get another one, which was also negative.  She told me that if I was comfortable not getting a period that I could just take the active pills continuously.  I could stop every four months if I wanted just for reassurance.  I know some women aren't comfortable with the idea of not having a period but I was glad to see mine go.  The last time I took the inactive pills I didn't even get one.  I must say prior to taking the monophasic pill I did notice a change in my moods throughout my cycle.  Now that I'm on the same dosage all month long my moods are more stable.  I don't go crazy around "that time of the month" anymore.  I know there's still some controversy surrounding this issue but there seems to be more and more evidence that it's perfectly safe as I have read about it in various women's magazines including Cosmo and Glamour, as well as in the Boston Globe.  I must say it's helped me a lot.  It's something you might want to consider asking your doctor about when you get through the zoloft withdrawal.  Not to mention birth control is a lot cheaper than Zoloft.  I also am now a firm believer that drs who don't specialize in psychiatry should not be prescribing psychiatric drugs...or at least not without a psychiatric referral.

feel free to email me
-Jen
***@****

by the way I tried your yahoo email address and it didn't seem to work.  Do you have yahoo messenger?
I quit Zoloft cold-turkey on November 19, four days before Thanksgiving. My doctor happened to mention in passing that Zoloft had been linked anecdotally to weight gain, which I'd defnitely noticed over the course of a two-year program. so I asked him what else I should or should take, and he gave me a scrip for Wellbutrin. He said to switch over and I'd be right as rain. I decided to get off the Zoloft and see how I felt in a week or so, before starting the WB: figured if I could get off of meds entirely, then hooray for me! DUMB IDEA. On Wednesday, four days later, Thanksgiving Eve dawned grey and gloomy down here in Texas, but that was fine. I was looking forward to a wonderful holiday with my family (I'm 48, father of two college kids and happily married to the same woman). Doing last minute chores during the morning, I started feeling coldness in my hands. Yet it was 60 degrees out, which for me, is still shorts and pullover weather. Thinking nothing about it really, I put on slacks and a sweater and ran errands. Kept getting colder, so I turned the heat up, even fired up the seat warmers, which I NEVER use. Still couldn't get warm and started shivering. Within minutes, my teeth were chattering uncontrollably, and I pulled over to the side of the road to get myself together. By this time, I'm also feeling disoriented and dizzy...the same dizziness a woman above described as not being able to move your eyes and your head independently. Try THAT for a weird feeling! To top it off, I started getting that same "electric shock" sensation in my ears that others have described. So here I am, it's about 100 degrees in this car, and I'm shaking uncontrollably, I swear, almost convulsing, and not a little anxious about all of this, I might add. Now, I've been cold before...Toronto in the winter, and so on, but I'd never felt anything like this before. I figured it was the Zoloft, as I recalled hearing about it on a news program on ABC, so I called my wife from the cell phone and said, I'm coming home, have a zoloft tablet ready for me and call the damn shrink. I spent the rest of the day in bed, and the symptoms subsided about 40% within an hour: within four hours, I was at 60%. The next day, Thankgsgiving, was fine, altho I hit the sack early. today, I'm fine except for a muscle I pulled in my back this morning moving some furniture, and it's searing. Never felt a muscle spasm like this: it rolled right across my back over the course of three hours. To wind up this interminable story, the shrink confirmed that it WAS withdrawal, to get back to my regular dosage, stay on it a couple days and SLOWLY wean off of it, then switch to the WB. Morale of the story: I've had some weird stuff happen to me in my life, including a very painful surgery or two, but NOTHING compared to this. I'm going to VERY CAREFULLY get off this stuff and try to stay off it. If you're considering coming off Zoloft, PLEASE do it gradually (and stay off the highways!) If anybody wants to email me, it's ***@**** (that's letters BMEL, then numbers two-one-one. Have a great holiday!
I cannot believe all these stories I am reading!  All the side effects that everybody says they have had.  I want to let you all know that Zoloft has been a life saver for 3 of my family members, and they were all on it for more than 3 years and never complained of any side effects.  But each one of them was started on either Prozac, or Paxil, and had to stop them because they didn't work, or the side effects were to bad.  They would fight tooth and nail to tell anyone that Zoloft has been the best thing they could have ever taken for their depression and anxiety!  I also have a friend who started taking Celexa, and he says he is now impotent.  He had a perfectly healthy sex life with his wife before he started taking it for his depression.  Just thought I would let you know that you all are few and far between with people who experience bad side effects with Zoloft.
A couple of weeks ago I took the last of my Depakote, Zoloft and Klonopin and was unable to get a refill because I have temporarily lost Medicaid.  Right about that same time I started getting really bad dizziness/vertigo.  I had also started on Augmentin for a UTI which I have taken before with no problems but this time was unable to keep it down.  Just made me really sick to my stomach.  Well my UTI is still there and the dizziness has shown no sign of letting up and has been so bad that it makes it hard to function and so I finally got concerned and went to the ER tonight.  The doctors answer was that it was probably from not being on those pills and so he had the social worker come in and talk to me and she helped me with getting the scripts I needed.  I guess they paid for them.  Anyways, I am going to start back on the pills because I can't take this dizziness anymore but I am concerned because my husband and I had started talking about the idea of maybe getting pregnant since I was already off the medication.  Other than the dizziness as a possible side effect, I have been doing fine mentally, being off my medication and so we were wanting me to stay off and get pregnant.  Well, now I don't know what to do.  I won't get pregnant while on these pills (especially the Depakote) but can't handle the withdrawals.  What do I do?  I am thinking of maybe taking them again until the dizziness goes away and then over the next couple of weeks maybe slowly weaning off of them but don't know if that will make a difference with the vertigo.  I can't handle going through this dizziness anymore.  I have taken Depakote and Zoloft before and then stopped taking it real quick and was off it for a few years and never went through the dizziness before so I don't understand why it would affect me this time around.  The only thing I can think of is that I was not on Klonopin also then and maybe somehow that is making a difference this time around.  I am concerned about this.  I would like to get off these meds so that I can get pregnant but don't know how to avoid the side effects.  Any advice would be appreciated.  You can email me at angel_eyes10101***@**** .  

Thanks,
Amy
I had been on Zoloft for about a year, with side-effects of nausea, mild elation & dizziness.  About a month and a half ago, I was having to write 200 pages of my PhD and teaching at the same time, so I was getting very little sleep.  I made a suicide attempt by swallowing about 300 assorted pills, including 100 zolofts.  I was in a coma for 3 days.  My psychiatrist immediately took me off the zoloft, saying the manic feelings were symptoms of an overdose -- the anti-depressant basically acted as a powerful, amphetamine-like substance.  According to her, this is not an unusual consequence of zoloft-taking.  Having already tried prozac, paxil, wellbutrin and anafranil,I am now on Laraxyl (Elavil), and experiencing mood changes, chronic mouth dryness, mild facial twitching, some feelings of vertigo, but at least the sleeping has improved.  I would like to hear from anyone who has had similar experiences and/or who is currently using Elavil or a similar substance.
I have been reading the numerous emails on Zoloft withdrawal and have experienced most of the symptoms mentioned.  I am 27 years old was on Prozac for two years for panic attacks.  I then came off because I always felt like everything was a dream and I still had anxiety.  I had absolutely no problem coming off of Prozac and to my amazement, I was panic free for one year.  The symptoms started to resurface so I got on Zoloft.  After about a year on Zoloft, I decided that I would come off because my husband and I would like to start a family.  I did not hesitate because of the good experience that I had coming off Prozac.  I called my OB/GYN and she told me to taper off over a two week period.  Boy was she wrong!  I was off of it completely about three days when the withdrawal symtpoms set in.  The one that frigtened me most was was that crazy eye delay (feeling like your eyes have to catch up when you look at something).  I also felt like a was extremely hung over even though I had not had anything to drink.  My husband is very supportive, but he thought that my anxiety was probably coming back.  I knew that this was different.  After feeling horrible for 3 days, I got on my computer and found these postings about Zoloft withdrawal.  I immdediately went downstairs and took my regular dose (50 mg/day).  Within a couple of hours, I was fine.  Monday morning I called my internist to get her advice.  She wrote me a prescription for 25 mg.  She suggested alternating between 50 mg and 25 mg every day and then EVENTUALLY alternating between 25 mg and 12.5 mg and so on.  She said that Zoloft withdrawal can be severe if stopped abruptly and that I should take it as slow as possible.

I haven't actually tried it yet--I guess that I am still afraid of experiencing those symptoms!  I know that I tend to get long-winded, but maybe this way may work for some of you.  If I find that something works for me, I will let you all know!
Hi all you ssri fans!  Zoloft is a wonderful drug in times of need. Like the severe depression I went through 6 years ago. In 6 weeks time I was able to tolerate problems and frustrations like never before. I felt like I was the person that I always wanted to be.

Yes, I have had a weight gain of around 40 pounds in 6 years. I am an R.N. and have analyzed this to be do from a decreased tolerance of exercise the higher the dose. Also to a kind of numbing to the sensation of being full and a general lack of will power.  My energy and will power return during the times when I quit Zoloft. ...but I never quit for very long...

I have been on "Vitamin Z" for going on 6 years. I can't get off. The most I've been off is about 3 weeks. The depression is gone. How do I get off?  

I have tried tapering and cold turkey. I have not experienced any of the withdrawel effects that were described in this forum except for  I feel good. I perceive myself as OK and relating to people OK. . .but I have been told that I am not OK...I turn into a B----!  I have no tolerance for anything or anyone. I get very negative. My temper has a short fuse. My husband says that I am rude to people. My perception is that I am being friendly. He says I am lashing out at people. Stirring up trouble. He can always tell when I go off my Vitamin Z.  So why do I try to go off?

I forgot what its like to have a sex drive. ON Zoloft I could take it of leave it. I don't miss it. I am content. Not too good for my hubby though.  

I also grind my teeth a lot on Z.  I have gained weight. . . and have a sort of chronic mild diarrhea.

. My Dr. has offered to switch me to Wellbutrin, which does not effect libido. Has anyone had any experience with going off Z. and starting on W.?  Do you still go through Withdrawel from Zoloft even though you are starting Wellbutrin?

Just how long does it take before all the Zoloft withdrawel effects go away?

***@****
I noticed a post from someone who had no difficulty getting off Prozac but when later put on Zoloft had problems getting off.  Zoloft leaves your system much faster than Prozac.  After two weeks of terrible withdrawal symptoms I couldn't stand it any more.  My doctor put me on Prozac.  Within a day my withdrawal symptoms disappeared.  The theory is that Prozac stays in your system for a while even after you stop taking it.  So it usually causes little or no withdrawal effects.  Aside from my own doctor recommending this I have also read elsewhere of this method being used to get people off of other SSRI's that cause withdrawal.
I've only been on the Prozac a couple of weeks, don't think it's even working yet, except that it helped with the zoloft withdrawal.  My plan is to stay on until the spring, which is when I normally get happier anyway.  Then I'll try to get off it.

This is the same Jen that's posted previously.
I have a new email address now if anyone would like to talk to me:
***@****
This all sounds so bleak.  If any of you have successfully returned to health after weaning from Zoloft, please share how you did it.  How long did it take for the effects of withdrawal to resolve themselves?  Does it make sense to just hang in there and stick it out or is it better to restart the meds and wean even more slowly than so many of us have?

To the person who said that Zoloft has been a lifesaver for many family members - I'm not sure there is any reason to argue that.  It can be a lifesaver, however, I don't think there has been any research done on how long it is necessary to take these drugs AND there clearly has been no research done on how to handle withdrawal symptoms.  We are told to take it slowly but exactly how slowly?  And is it possible to come off this drug slowly enough to avoid all negative effects of withdrawal?  No one seems to know the answer to this.  It's infuriating to think that the drug companies have no accountability in this area.  As I type this, my head spins, and I'm wondering for how long this will continue.  

To all of you - thank you for sharing your stories.  Misery really does love company!  It makes me feel less isolated and less like I'm slacking off because I'm uneasy about driving to work or walking down the stairs to do laundry!
In hope,
Margaret   (***@****)
Hey Fellow Zoloft withdrawal Zombies!

Here is my update.  

Started to taper off of Z Dec. 29th.  I was on 50mg a day. I started taking 50 mg. every other day.  Sides not too bad. Second week I started taking 25mg a day. Now for this next week I will take 25mg every other day.  The sides are....

Confusion at times.  Boredom.  I was never bored on Z.  Negativity, Very impatient.   Hyper. , Muscles tensing up alot.
Still not much of a libido.   I am sleeping better.  I get very exhausted and feel like I'm going to pass out at times.  Severe diarrhea at times. Less nasal congestion. Not as content as I was on Z.  

I figure it took 6 weeks to take effect.  So it will probably take 6 weeks to wean myself off of it.  

***@****
First of all~ to everyone who posted here, and is experiencing Z. withdrawal symptoms~ I'm incredibly sympathetic. I'm also completely outraged at the drug companies (especially Pfizer) who have not published any information regarding withdrawal; and the doctors who have dismissed patient complaints and advised higher dosages. This is really ignorant. I am experiencing dizziness as I type this, even though I'm just sitting calmly at my computer. Here is my story...
I'm a 21 year old female and I've been on Z. for major depression for about a year and a half. My doctor works for a local human service organization, therefore I get treatment for free. I started out at 50mg, then 100mg, and recently I graduated to 150mg. About a week ago I was told that my doctor would not authorize any more medication for me until I came in for another appointment. (I missed my last two.) The nurse told me to "just hang in there".
I immediately began experiencing withdrawal symptoms. The dizziness is the most frightening because it's almost constant. I feel like the only relief would be sleep but when I close my eyes to try to fall asleep I get this strange sensation, like a low-voltage electrical jolt, through my head. I thought this might be just my imagination until I read the accounts of "electric-shock sensations" on this message board. I also have some diarrhea, but I have been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome in the past, so I'm not sure that's relevant. Physically, I feel "apart from myself". Hard to explain, but I'm assuming anyone who reads this will recognize this feeling. Before I began Z. my depression caused me a lot of hopelessness, procrastination, irritability, etc. Now it's like these symptoms are magnified, worse than they were before I was on any drug. On Z., I was able to hold two jobs, one for a year and a half, and one for 6 months (something I've never done before) and became pretty optimistic, comparitively. But in the last week I've missed two days of work, just not being able to motivate myself to get out of bed, not even calling in sick. Suddenly I'm avoiding my responsibilities, which in turn just makes me feel worthless. I've been snapping at my boyfriend so much that he has realized I'm not in my right mind and has decided to just try to reassure me and be as nice as possible to avoid provoking me. (Not something he does often.)
It's really scary to be in this position. I hate being dependant on drugs, but I figured it was fine since Z. was helping me, and my Dr. had said when I began using it, that I would be able to discontinue it in a year or so. I don't feel "cured" at all right now. I feel like taking Z. was pointless, since I'm back where I started, only with withdrawal symptoms to add to the fun.
My Dr. appointment is on Jan. 29th. Until then, I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with everyday life. I cry over the most trivial things lately, like missing the bus. I'm almost afraid to go to work because I'm sure I'll break down or something. Start crying or get in an argument. That is not normal behavior.
I hope to post an update here after my appointment. I'll be interested to hear what my Dr. has to say. My email address is ***@****. If anyone would like to contact me for any reason, please feel free. I have to say, just knowing that there are people out there going through the same thing as I am makes me feel a whole lot better. Blessed be.