Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
adderall and antabuse

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

adderall and antabuse

I am 35 and was diagnosed with ADD two and a half years ago while seeking treatment for alchohol abuse.  At that time I was proscribed antabuse and also nuerofeedback therapy. It helped for quite awhile, even though I couldn't coomplete the entire nuerofeedback series. I have continued to take the antabuse off and on since then, whenever I feel like I want to start drinking again.  My physician has suggested taking adderal to help with the ADD which he says will also help with the cravings to self medicate. He says there is no problem with combining the two medications, but I can't find any info anywhere.  What do you suggest?
toby jo....the combination is safe accordingly to my consultants here who have some experience with it.  Make sure you keep the low dose recommended for add.  also ask your doctor about concerta, which is the same medication but lasts for twelve hours.
1 Comment
Forum MD - I'm leaving this board for a while now and am still hoping (cos I still believe that most of us retain our ideals somewhere inside and have a huge capacity for contributing to the well-being of our fellow beings) to see you become a hero :)  And thank you for letting me post here without deleting me.

To Peacetrain, John-John, and so many others (but whose names are too confusing to remember LOL) - wishing you all the very best and hoping that you can all get through the hard times and come out the other side winning, whichever way you choose to do so.  Am leaving you with the Desiderata (cos I posted it near the bottom of the board and anyone who might appreciate it could miss it down there) beautifully written by Max Ehrmann.  And please don't shout "Thank God She's Gone" LOL until you hear me close the forum door behind me :o)  Bye for now, never give up - one day you will be looking back at the hard times as a distant memory.  Paula

"Desiderata --- Max Ehrmann, 1927

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.  Strive to be happy."