Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
alternatives to Depakote
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

alternatives to Depakote

My son has been diagnosed with organic personality disorder and shizophrenia, paranoid type as a result of a severe brain injury.  He is on risperdal, geodone, lithium and depakote, buspirone, fluoxotine.  The psychotic and personality symptoms are minimized by this combination, but he seems SOOOO tired all the time.   He is also complaining having a much harder time remembering things.  I agree with his observation.  His short term memory does seem appreciably poorer recently.  (The flip side is that his paranoid perseveration has decreased too- Is this a required trade off?) I wondered if there are any possible substitutes for the depakote I could ask the Dr about?  I know it has fatigue as a frequent side effect, and the fatigue definitely worsened when he was put on the Depakote.  The depakote is ordered for probable seizures associated with violent behavior episodes.  He takes 2/3 or his dosage at night.  His depakote level is midrange. I also understand the buspirone has fatigue as a side effect, but his primary dose is at night. Any possible thoughts would be appreciated.  I would hate to think he would be forced to choose between life as a non-paranoid zombie and vitality complicated by uncontrollable violence.

Thank you.