Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
best drug for treatment?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

best drug for treatment?

can you tell me the best drug you think for this situation.   i am a 30 yr old male who's "depression and anxiety" is allegedly the cause of intensive physical symptoms (actually, truth be told, i am in serious disagreement with this assesment, but no doctor can figure it out).   So, now i must deal with it the only way I can.   On the other hand it is true that I have lead a bit of a reclusive, depressive lifestyle in the last several years--but that is essentially the way I have always been, and before I got sick physically I was quite happy with myself.     My physicall illness has wrecked me and left me housebound---I was doing Okay and getting out for a while, but then it worsened just as I was making progress.   There are no major stressors in my life,  I'm well taken care of and life is the same basically as it was 5 yrs ago.    I am not alone, I have a wonderful girlfriend.....yet my physical health is still in shambles  (cardiac and neurological type symptoms).    My mood is stable, i'm definately not bipolar or anything---my most pronounced symptoms are just plain physical.     But yes I am very depressed over this and am becoming more so---Probably the worst symptom of all is the "light headed  derealization" phenominon......which gets worse when outside the house...it literally terrifies me, and combined with the physical problems, i have begun to totally avoid leaving the house due to feeling so sick, physically and mentally.   and indeed i do believe i have some sort of "panic attack", usually what brings it on is when I think "why do i feel so bizarre, this is crazy!" --- then the short lived attack happens, it is almost as if i ask myself "am i still alive? am I real? why can't i snap out of this sh*t"
What is a good drug to start me on?
Everything is the same, but everything is really different just because of your age...its a time of profound transition...a time when you really start looking inward...if you can find a copy of my book, Transformations, read about the age 30 transition.  That said, the best medicine for you is talk therapy...much better than anything else, but for short term panic episodes, xanax is the drug of choice.
and even when i am deeply relaxed at home with no "mental symptoms", my physical illness is still raging onward just the same