Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
chemical imbalance testing

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

chemical imbalance testing

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE NAME OF THE TEST THAT CAN BE DONE ON KIDS WITH ADHD? TO SEE IF THEY REALLY DO HAVE A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE THAT REQUIRES MEDICATION.
There is no blood test for this but competent neurpsychiatric testing will give you a reliable answer.
1 Comment
Dear Tracy,

My son (now 12) was diagnosed with ADD when he was five, after going through a battery of tests through the County Intermediate Unit and our School District's Special Education Division.  The tests revealed things such as how my son processes information (he's a visual learner and does not do very well with multiple verbal instructions); the fact he cannot "read" body language; the fact he needs support with peers/social situations to be successful in school; the fact he needs extra support with tracking homework assignments with teachers/us; the fact he needs preferential seating (front of class) to maintain better attention with teacher and lessons distractions from other classmates; the fact that ADD is a chemical deficiency in the brain (lack of glucose) which makes him "like a race car going around and around without brakes."  The Ritalin has given him the "brakes" to be successful in school.  He still however, needs alot of emotional support, boosts in self-esteem now and then, and to maintain a sense that he's 'OK or normal' as a kid. The toughest part has been educating the teachers on ADD and convincing them ADD is not as much as a behavioral thing as it is a learning disability.  When the world recognizes and embraces that, the ADD kids will be as successful as other kids.  Until then, we have to be the advocates for our son and 'level the playing ground' for him at school.

Best of luck to you, Tracy.
Cathy
i need to know if i have a chemical imbalance or if i have split personalitys because everyone i know tells me i have one or the other and i have all the signs that you were talking about for chemical imbalance, my mom has a chemical imbalance and was also wondering if it ran in the family?.. im only 17 years old and i would really appreciate if you could help me..thank you
I meed the answer to this question as i have a granddaughter that has been diagnoised with adhd and still is terriblely out of control to the point they want to send her to a residentual  care facility      HELP PLEASE
I also would like to know how do I go about trying to find out what basically is wrong with my step daughter its plainlly obvious she has a.d.d do I take her to a regular doctor for testing? or mental doctor is there a test?