Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
chest pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

chest pain

I am 31 years old and have been on Paxil (20mg) for 2 years.  I get pains ON my rib cage left and right of sternum and on the lower left too.  I can rub at the spot that hurts and it feels like a bruise.  After a short while (minute or so) it fades away.  It has been going on since I started the medication for anxiety attacks.  I have not had a real attack for about a year (knock on wood) but do get anxious from time to time.  What could be causing this?  Any information would be appreciated.    Thank you.
Related Discussions
242532_tn?1269553979
What you have is almost certainlly unrelated to Paxil. It is probably a costal-chondritis, a minor irritation of the joint between the rib and the cartilage. I am assuming that your doctor is certain that it is not related to your heart.
4 Comments
Blank
Man this sounds like my symptoms they said i have costochondritis inflamation (inflammation) of the rib cartige but i have had shots and pills apon pills and nothing works now there saying i am depressed well u would too if your chest hurt and nobodt nos why it does they have ran every test on me and every thing is normal so if u find anything out let me no my e mail is ***@****
Blank
I am 28 and have been taking a very low dose of Paxil (5-10 mg) on and off for the last three years for anxiety.  I changed insurance and they only cover 20mg tablets, so I have been splitting the pills.  During the time that I've been taking  the higher dose I have developed chest pains.  I stopped taking the Paxil and my chest pains have gone away.  Chest pains are a side effect of Paxil--it is even listed on the report on side effects from my pharmacy.  What else can I take?  Years ago I tried Celexa, but it made my stomach very upset,  even with food.  Can all SSRI's cause chest pain?  Why do doctors believe that a 5 or 10 mg dose is too low and that if my dose is that low I don't really need it?   Help!
Blank
Several years back I had a starting episode of pain in my left side just under the breast.  It hurt if I breathed deeply.  For a few months once or twice a week (sometimes more) I would get a sensation in the same spot, not painful but a twinge or what I would call 'static' pain because it only lasted for a second or two.  At times I would get a tingling  'static' pain in my 'sterum'  (the center of my chest).  Never longer than a few seconds.  I went to the doctor and he checked for pressure points but did not find anything.  He didn't really give me an answer.  I searched for one myself and settled on inflamation (inflammation) of the rib cartilage.  It disappeared for almost two years but came back yesterday and lasted for almost a minute or two-it scares the hell out of me when it happens-it's hard to convince myself it's not heart related.  I do have MVP but only have had rare skipped beats or a pounding when my heart 'sets' itself to it's normal rhythm.
Have had an echocardiogram and did not find anything-that was about two years ago.  At normal weight, get lots of exercise at work-anyone have any ideas as to what to do about this?  What type of treatment should I seek? Thanks : )
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979