Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
do i have an eating disorder?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

do i have an eating disorder?

i'm weird.. i dont eat alot (like a piece of pizza and chips are fine for me all day) almost everyday, then some days i cant stop eating. i dont know what is going on! i've always been like this? is it an eating disorder?
Related Discussions
Dear Amy,

In psychiatry the two major eating disorders are anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Anorexia nervosa is characterized by a deliberate, self-imposed starvation owing to the relentless pursuit of thinness and fear of fatness, leading to varying degrees of malnutrition. Bulimia nervosa is characterized by episodic patterns of binge eating accompanied by a sense of loss of control , and efforts to control body weight such as through self-induced vomiting or use of laxatives. Persons with eating disorders are pathologically preoccupied with weight and a shape and have a strong desire for a thinner body size. If you have do not have the symptoms that characterize either of the eating disorders, it is unlikely that you have an eating disorder.

However, the most consistent finding in binge eaters is that of increased depression and psychopathology. As many as 50 % obese binge eaters present with clinically significant depression.

On the other hand, you may be suffering from poor eating habits that may lead to morbid obesity in the future.

I would suggest a consult with a mental health professional to rule out any psychopathology and to a nutritionist for an improvement of your eating habits.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD - RG

*KEYWORD: EATING
Blank
This Forum's Experts
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker