Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
drug contradictions

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

drug contradictions

I have been taking 20mg of Lexapro for approximately 1 year now. I have had a back injury for which I have been issued a prescription for Ultram/Tramadol (50 mg: 3x a day). Can I take both together safely? I wondered so for the past 2 days I haven't taken my lexapro. I am experiencing extreme sensitivity to sounds and lights, irritation and brain zaps as a previous posting described. What is the most sensible approach to managing the back pain with my depression medicine?
You received good advice from Paxiled...only you are your doctor can decide about the degree of risk with a new medication..it requires some good research to make sure..your pharmacist might also have that information...and no, don't just go off of lexapro..go back on to stop the symptoms.
Hate to sound like an idiot, but have you contacted the doctor who prescribed this?  Wouldn't want to go off an ssri cold turkey at any time, let alone when you're in pain.  You can also go on the Lexapro website, it should list the contraindications.  You should always ask when you get a prescription if it conflicts with what you're taking, and what you're taking should be on your medical records for the doctor who's doing the prescribing.
My psychiatrist prescribed the Lexapro. That dosage is in my primary health care physicians chart. He prescribed the Ultram. He usually keeps account of all my medicines. It was only after reading websites, that I became concerned about possible contradictions that I decided to stop the Lexapro. Wasn't feeling well at all. Even though my PCP is a good doctor, he has missed warnings about other drugs he had described for me in the past. That's why I decided to go to a psychiatrist for help instead of letting him prescribe anti-depressents. Hence the question I wrote to you Doctor....an expert in this field.
You did right -- psychiatrists are best for prescribing antidepressants.  PCPs don't know much about them -- actually, psychiatrists don't know much about them!  You can ask either your doctor or your psychiatrist, since both are physicians, about contraindications.  But don't stop the Lexapro cold turkey, it can be a nightmare to stop an ssri suddenly in the best of circumstances.  Good luck.