Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
effexor to zoloft switch

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

effexor to zoloft switch
I began taking Effexor XR about 7 years ago when Zoloft seemed to quit working for me. I've experienced weight gain, dry mouth, and constipation with Effexor XR (not to mention the cost) and would like to go back to Zoloft, which was free of side effects in my case. Can Zoloft work after a 6-7 year rest? What is the typical protocol for switching from Effexor XR to Zoloft?
Yes, Zoloft can work just as well...each doctor has a slightly different approach to the safe transfer, so work with your doctor on this. Usually you taper off of Effexor while restarting a lower dose of Zoloft.