Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
frustrated and angry

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

frustrated and angry

I use to be described as nice and easy going, now I would describe myself as frustrated and angry.  I can't stand it!  I have become so short tempered, I can't stand myself.  I was wondering if maybe this is normal in light of what I have been going through.  Just about a year ago my mother died of heart disease, she suffered long and hard.  We were very close, I idolized her.  I held her hand to the end.  5 months after her death I was finally diagnosed, after a little over a year of testing, with heart problems.  I can believe that, maybe, I was frustrated then because I was ill and had to watch my mother suffer as I stood by unable to help.  Maybe even now, that is part of the anger.  I don't know.  Is this possible?  If so, when will I get over it? and how?  If not, how can I help myself? Also, I am having trouble with thinking about my diagnosis almost constantly and I, kind of, resent having to take medicine (atenolol) the rest of my life.  I want to argue with my cardiologist and have to make a conscious effort not to.  Is this normal? Can I do something for myself to get over all of this?  Thank you.
I am sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Your irritability may be a reaction to her death or to your own medical diagnosis. Irritability may also be a symptom of depression, which may be triggered by life difficulties such as those you report. You may search through our forum archives for more information on depression, and consider evaluation by a mental health professional. Psychotherapy is often helpful in resolving life difficulties.
On one hand I would like to see a psych., on the other... Financially, I can't anyway.  I have been exercising 3x's a week since a month after my mother's passing and now that I have diagnoses of my problems and medicine, I have returned to volunteer work 2x's a week.  I am hoping doing such things (and time) will help me.  Is there anything else you can suggest?  Do you think time will heal?
Thank you for your time.