Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
hallucinations or visions?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

hallucinations or visions?

I have a friend who says she sees violent images when she meditates, and she also says she sees things move when she meditates. She's previously been treated with medication for depression, and isn't currently on medication. She explains the things that are moving when she meditates as a spiritual vision. I also have a friend who says she sees images of people, mostly out of the corners of her eyes but not always, and she says it's spirit guides or something like that. She also has panic attacks and depression. She's seeing a therapist.

My question is whether in either of these cases it's possible that these are hallucinations related to a mental health condition?  I have no idea whether they've talked to their doctors about these visions they've had.
WJS,

A hallucination is a sensory perception in the absence of an external stimuli.  It is possible that these are hallucinations but need further probing to clarify.  It is important to realize that certain cultures and religions may have beliefs in visions while praying/ meditating.  Hallucinations by themselves are not sufficient to establish psychosis or any mental disorder in and of themselves.  If one exhibits behavior of responding to these experiences then it is more suggestive of mental illness.  Hope this was helpful.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM

Keywords:  Hallucinations, illusions