Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
hyperthyroid

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

hyperthyroid

I have had problems with anxiety. Heart racing, jittery, weight loss, constant nervousness. I have tried a few anti depressants which only leave me feeling just as jittery. I was prescribed Ativan and Xanax for the shakes and jitters. Recently I have had my thyroid re-tested and my level is 0.6 which has dropped in the last 5 months from 1.8. I am still told by one of my doctors that it is still in the normal range and not to worry about it, and to go see a psychiatrist about more meds. I am wondering that even still in the wide spectrum range of 0.2 -4.0 if this could be hyperthyroid and the 0.6 is not a normal level for me. What other tests would show thyroid activity?
If you go to a thyroid specialist, that doctor can order some more sophisticated tests  and may be able to tell you if you are  an over reactor to that level of thyroid. It is worth a try.  And many antidepressants do make you more jittery because they are stimulants, so ask your doctor about trying another antidepressant.
Don't you just love it when doctors do that?  Mine has done it.
I'm not sure about the numbers but I guess as for anything they could represent different things for different people.
A lot of doctors seem inflexible regarding clinical and sub-clinical.  For the most part they seem only interested in extremes.  0.6 and 1.8 seems neither here nor there.

You may find some of the old posts in 'Related discussions' of interest.

I'm not sure of other tests but some people have mentioned referral to an endocrinologist (and/ or psychiatrist/ psychotherapist).

I'm sorry you feel invalidated by your doctor's response.