Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
hypothyroidism

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

hypothyroidism
Hi all,
There seems to be so many questions about the link between anxiety/depression and thyroid problems.  I was diagnosed w/ hashimotos thyroiditis in Aug. '99.  I've been swinging between hypothyroid & hyperthyroid while they adjust my meds.  I've been depressed, anxious, unable to sleep, having tingling sensations, tremors, inability to concentrate, etc.  Generally feeling like i'm losing my mind. It's terrible.  
Naturally, not all anxiety/depression problems are realted to thyroid, but it sure seems like a lot of them are.  Below is a great website all about thyroid problems.  There are FAQ's, message boards and a lot of information.  Anyone with a thyroid problem should check it out.  If for no other reason than peace of mind.

http://thyroid.miningco.com/health/thyroid/msub4.htm

Take care
Ellen,

It must be difficult dealing with the medical and psychiatric problems that you describe. However, I can sense that you are determined to resolve these difficulties. I urge you to continue working closely with your treating clinicians.