Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
long term effects from Ephedrine

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

long term effects from Ephedrine

I want to first start out by saying that by no means am I proud of what I did to myself. As a matter of fact, I've realized how stupid it was and what the possible consequences were to my body.

I use to take ephedrine (white cross tablets) on a regular basis. I wasnt an everyday user. Normally I took them about 2-3 times a week on average. I did this for about 18 years. The first 15 years I was pretty much consistant using ephedrine 2-3 times a week. Taking anywhere from 50-100mg. I quit using ephedrine about 4 months ago and will never take it again. Right now I'm dealing with anxiety and depression issues. My question is, What kind of affect do you think my ephedrine use has had on my brain chemials like the serotonin and norepherneprine chemicals. Could I have damaged them or completely destroyed them. If so, What can I do to correct this or level them back out. I know this might sound like a crazy question but I'm very concerned that I might have messed up my chemicals that control moods in my body.

Thanks for your help and answers to this matter!
It's unlikely that you have caused any permanent damage, but there may be an adjustment period, and the antidepressants called ssri's can help with that.  Talk to your doctor about that if your depression and anxiety get any worse.
are you talking about ephedrine used for weight loss?
Yes, used for weight loss and imitation white cross tablets for a speed high.
I too am suffering terribly from depression. I am also worried about long term use of ephedrine. I use to take 500mg-600mg + every day for about 6 months or more. I have stop taking it for about 5 years now and still I have emotional out bursts, and periods of suicidal tendencies. My question is, are there similar chemical contents from yerba mate as in ephedrine?
Hello - I abused epherdrine for 13 years, going thru a weeks reccomended dosage every 3 days.  I have stopped taking it 6 years ago.  I have metabolism problems, chronic headaches, depression, mood swings and am now allergic to several additives for food such as monosodium glutamate, fake sugars, nitrates.  Over the first 4 years off of ephedrine, my heart would race over 110 beats then slow down the race again, since then it has regulated but....

I am worried that these are signs of permanent damage and wonder if the ephedrine may make me more susebtible to stroke, heartattack, etc.