Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
mY DAUGHTER

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

mY DAUGHTER

mY DAUGHTER IS 24 AND GETTING WORSE ALL THE TIME, SHE HAS BEEN DEPRESSED SINCE HIGH SCHOOL BUT i THINK REALLY NEEDS MEDICATION. sHE CAN'T HOLD AJOB , SLEEPS ALL DAY AND CAN GET VIOLENT. sHE ALSO TALKS ABOUT ENDING IT ALL i THINK SHE NEEDS INPATIENT TREATMENT BUT SHE   HAS NO INSURANCE, WHERE DO YOU GO FOR GOOD HELP. sHE STARTED A MENTAL HEALTH CLINIC BUT SOMETIMES DOESN'T SHOW AND I THINK SHE NEEDS MORE. i'M AFRAID TO LET HER IN MY HOUSE ANYMORE BECAUSE SHE GETS TOTALLY OUT OF HAND IF YOU SAY THE WRONG THING TO HER. sHE STARTING TO DRINK MORE HEAVILY ALSO.   dO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON INSTITUTIONS? eVEN WHEN SHE DOESN'T DRINK THOUGH SHE'S DEPRESSED AND CAN'T FUNCTION. i AM IN RECOVERY MYSELF A FEW YEARS NOW. i JUST CAN'T SEE OUTPATIENT TREATMENT HELPING HER RIGHT NOW. sHE IS FIGHTING THIS ALL THE WAY AND FEELS EVERYONE IS MAKING HER THE WAY SHE IS. i KNOW HER CHILDHOOD WASEN'T GREAT BUT i HAVE OTHER DAUGHTERS AND THEY SEEM TO BE DOING OK dO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE. THANK YOU dOROTHY
Dorothy,

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation and are concerned about your daughters well being.  If you feel your daughter is in imminent harm of hurting herself based on a mental disorder then you should petition the court to hospitalize her.  Please search this forums archives using invluntary commitment as a keyword.  In general the majority of mental health treatment is done in an outpatient setting with hospitalization reserved for stabilization. Every community in the United States has free mental health treatment through Community Mental Health Clinics. You can call one of these clinics in your area, ask your primary care physician or local psychiatrist to facilitate this process.  If there is an emergency you can have your daughter taken by the police t the nearest emergency room for a psychiatric evaluation.  I hope this was helpful.  Good luck.

Sincerely,

HFHS MD-JM
1 Comment
hello doctor i wanted to know if u can help my daughter. my daughter gets talked about because the shape of her nose. she comes home crying all the time. it's like when she turns to the side u can see the bump in her nose. it is really in her nose. who know how jewish peoples nose look like it is actually a lump. my daughter is in the 6th grade going to 7th she is scared to go to middle school because she thinks she is going to get talked about. she said "if my nose was straight like the rest of the kids she will feel a hundred percent better". she feels very uncomfortable it started to form when she was 9. i thought she bumped it and it swelled up i dont know what it is. can you tell me a way to make it go down or get it removed? please reply as soon as possible

pat