Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
mild peripheral bifrontal cerebral atrophy

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

I recently got a ct scan to find out about a possible  tumor on my skull.  It showed no mass or infarct, which is great, but the findings were as follows.  "There is Mild peripheral bifrontal cerebral atrophy".  When I asked the surgeon and my primary about this, they simply said "it means my brain is not 20 anymore."  I am a 40 y.o. women who suffers from depression but am wondering if depression itself contributes to atrophy of the brain, as I know there are many factors involved.  I know someone who got the same reading on hers who also suffers from depression, but I also know people older than me who did not get this reading.  SHOULD I BE CONCERNED!!!or should I contribute it to age.  I dont really know what parts of the brain he is talking about.  Since I suffer from anxiety anyway, I am stressing out about this.  Any Feedback you can give me, would be great.  Thank you so very much.  I hope I gave you enough info about my finding.
There is no study that links depression with that finding.  If I were you I would press my doctor for a better interpretation, specifically asking whether this finding is in the normal range for your age.  That's the critical question.