Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
musterbation and anxiety/depression linked?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

Hello. when I was younger i use to masturbate roughly 6 times a week, but then slowed down too about 3 times a week. About 5 months ago i stoped masturbating because i was worried i was sinning. I do not have pre-marital sex either. Infact i have not received any sort of sexual gratification since i stoped masturbating. i was also never big on eating vegetables and excersising. about two monthsd ago i became seriously depressed (suicidal) and my doctor gave me anti depressent cymbala on sep 15. i reacted violently (mild hallucinations, severe anxiety, and insomnia). since then i have been irregularly using lorazopam whenever i need it as i have developed all the symptoms of developing schitzophrenia (anxiety, agitation, distortions of shapes and shades, depression). i have been feeling better since i started eating better and jogging but i was wondering would masturbation ( as it releases some of the same chemicals lacking in people with my symptoms....?) be beneficial to me? or would it be simply to much of a shock. please write back. thanks
That is a question only your doctor, who knows you very well, can answer. I would not dare voice an opinion. It's an important question, so ask your doctor.
I was wondering if you were seeking permission to masturbate since that may override any of your fears concerning sinning.
If this is about sinning then you could try researching it on the internet or speaking to a religious leader about it.
The symptoms you describe can also be associated with depression and anxiety.
Is your preference to substitute masturbation for exercise?  Exercise also boosts feel good chemicals.

If you enjoy masturbating, then why not?  I think it would help you more emotionally than physically though.  Masturbating may be something you use to cope with your emotions.
How would you feel later, once you feel better, if you did start to masturbate again?  Would you be thinking about this if you were well?

You know yourself best, do what feels right for you.  Just be mindful of what will be best both short- and long-term.