Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
neurons

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

neurons

Hi:

Any comments on that research showing neuronal deformity
in lab animals who took large doses of SSRI's?  Also,
some anti-SSRI writers compare the drugs to MDMA, which the
medical establishment deems unsafe.  Do you think the
comparison is valid?

CS
I believe that the brain chemistry is so complex that are no definitive answers to your question. All we can do is go with the best evidence, and today the evidence is very strong that the ssri's are safe for long term use.  MDMA is a particularly dangerous drug because of its known, and frequent, cause of brain damage...there is no such reports of ssri's doing the same.
1 Comment
They both cause serotonin syndrome, when people die from taking extacy its from symptoms like rhabdomyolysis/hyperthermia that are caused by serotonin toxicity. Please if you can, send me names of authors of that literature so I can get a hold of the origional article.  Thankyou so much!
All I can say from previous ecstacy use (no more...) is that paxil sure does feel like doing E (MDMA). Perhaps the extremeness of the happiness isn't there. But the physical symptons are incredibly similar. No surprise I guess seratonin is seratonin.