Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
paranoid

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

paranoid

Hello:
My mate of nearly 20 years was recently scammed by someone he was trying to help and now he thinks the person is after him--having him followed, having our friends and neighbors turn on us, bugging our car and home. We've have to move three times within a year. He has never exhibited this tendency before, though he's never been one to work well with others jobwise. But on the other hand, he's always been very social. What could have caused this? How should I handle it? What can I do to get our live back on track? And why would someone out of the blue develop paranoid tendencies?
Once a person starts living with paranoid ideas, it is extremely difficult to do anything without professional help.  If you contradict him, he will have an answer to justify his obsession.  The best you can do is to tell him you think he is being paranoid( assuming there is no basis in fact for his reaction), and advise him to seek professional help with a qualified psychiatrist.  Medication and psychotherapy is the only known way to deal with this.
1 Comment
Hi i also live with someone who suffers from paranoid,depression and its real hard for me to deal with sometime's.We have a seven month old.My husband really think's the house is bugged right along with this truck and sometimes he thinks i am with the FBI and there is people outside trying to kill us...He was put in the hospital for that disorder twice and i feel really bad for him but at the sametime im scared for my son and my self...He is on meds for it but sometimes the meds don't work.I try talking him out of his paranoia but sometime's it just don't work and thats when i get all nervous and have have anxiety and want to leave but that isn't fair to him..what to do