Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
prescribing resperidol(risperidone) for OCD

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

My mother has not found a medication that works for her OCD yet. She has dilusions of contamination and spends hundreds of dollars on antibacterial products and sprays to spray "her father off of herself and her things". Her doctor recently brought up the possibility of using resperidol (risperidone) with her Lexapro which she just started a week ago. What do you think of this? What is resperidol (risperidone) and how can it help her OCD? What are the side effects of this medication?
thank you.....
Resperdal is a new more powerful medication that is being prescribed more often for this, but talk to her doctor about the side effects, and how he or she  is going to monitor.  It is a powerful drug that you also have to be careful about using.
1 Comment
I have OCD and they tried to put me on Risperdal to counteract with my paxil (which was not working, nor did it ever) Your mom could try this out, but PLEASE pay close attention to the effects Risperdal has on her...all of the informed (and honest) people I know say this is a dangerous drug.
God bless.