Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
psychosomatic pain?

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

psychosomatic pain?

About 6 months ago, I began experiencing constant pain and unpleasant shivery sensations in the buttock/thigh area, as well as my neck, shoulders, arms and fingers.  There was no history of accident, trauma, or other health problems, and I'd never had pain like this before.  I've been told by doctors that what I'm describing is neuropathic pain and dysesthesias.  My skin is extremely sensitive to touch or pressure.  I can't wear tight clothing or sit (it feels like I'm sitting on rocks).  I *was* an active, healthy 30-year old -- this has brought my life to a standstill.  I have seen an orthopedic surgeon, a neurologist, a pain specialist, and several physical therapists.  I've had every conceivable medical test (MRIs, blood work, EMG, etc.), and all are normal.  There are no objective physical problems that show up in any test, and every health care provider agrees that the pain is way out of proportion to any physical findings.  All they can do is give me pain medication, which has side effects I can't tolerate.  Is it possible that my pain is psychosomatic?  I tend to worry excessively about things, and for the past 6 months I have been completely preoccupied with my symptoms, doing all kinds of research on what awful disease it could be.  I also have a history of OCD, but haven't had any major problems with it for several years (I don't take medication for it).  After all the normal test results, I've tried to resume my usual activities (including exercise) as much as possible, but for many things the pain is unbearable.  If it's psychosomatic, what can I do about it?  Is there any hope of getting rid of it with psychotherapy?  If so, what kind of psychotherapy is appropriate?  Thank you.
Yes, it is very possible it is psychosomatic, and makes sense with a tendency for ocd. The treatment of choice is psychotherapy with a good dynamic, well trained psychiatrist who can also add appropriate medications if needed, but will treat you predominantly for the underlying anxiety.
1 Comment
i have a question. none of my doctors seem to know what is wrong with me. i have heard them mention psychosomatic pain. i have burning pain that starts in my feet and if not controlled goes up to my lower back. i have not been getting good sleep because of this pain. when you touch my feet, they don't hurt, just i can't feel the person or myself touching my feet that well. when i am driving for really long periods, i get a sharp, tingling pain down my right leg, it starts at the buttocks and moves down to my feet. i have been put on neurontin, mobic, celebrex, and effexor. none of these worked. i have seen a neurologist and she did a nerve study, which turned out to be fine. mris showed circular bulges in my back but nothing that is pressing on any nerves. i have had RA factor test (negative), and they have ruled out lupus at this point.....i am only 24. the pain statrs on the top of my foot and works its way up. i am seeing a pain management doctor, he said he has never come across this type of problem before. also when i walk around for a long time, this increases my pain, so i am limited on what i can do. i hate living out of a bottle if you know what i mean. i take long lasting and short lasting pain meds, plus a muscle relaxer. i am about at my wits end, this has been going on for almost a year. my question is have you any ideas, or have you heard of this type of pain before? i know you can't diagnose me through the internet, but maybe you have some ideas.......does it sound like psychosomatic pain?