Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
pts and surgeries

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

pts and surgeries

I have had to have 3 surgeries for chiari malformation and syringomyelia between April 2000 and March 2001.

I have also been in the hospital twice this year for a strep throat infectioin, and staph infection in February and a viral illness in July.

I am to the point that I do not want to see any more doctors but am told that because of the seriousness of my conditions I have to be followed by a neurosurgeon, neurologist and my primary care doctor.

My primary care doctor has mentioned that he feels I might have a mild form of postramatic stress disorder.

I know this can happen after a traumatic experience Ie car accident, assult. Is it possible to have it after going through so much surgery and illness in just a years time?

Thankyou for your help.
lpn
It is possible to be psychologically exhausted by so much serious surgery and so many chronic health worries.  It is very difficult to feel safe when you are under this kind of care. Surgery is necessarily intrusive and that can have a psychological effect. I suggest you spend some time with a therapist to sort this out so you can continue to do what is best for yourself in terms of medical decsions.
1 Comment
I wanted to let you know that I ended up seeing my primary care doctor this week. I have been having back pain on the right side of my back that has affected my right arm and leg. I fell on Saturday but did not get hurt.

My pcp and neurosurgeon feel something is going on with the muscles in my back. I will be trying physical therapy and a tens unit. If this does not work they want me to try trigger point injections. Then if all else fails a work up for neuropathy.

I feel stressed about all this but have not had the smptoms of the post traumatic problem this time around. I feel confident that my doctors are doing all they can.

Thanks for your help with the emotional side of this stuff.

Col
I had surgery in March and immediately came down with pneumonia and then had an SVT.  Haven't been right since.  Seeing a brain injury specialist but he can't say if the surgery itself has caused me so many problems with insomnia, tremor, balance, etc.  Looking into a possible sleep study, the doctor who discussed my situation said I might possibly have pts, a thought which obviously has never occurred to anyone else at this point.  I have indeed been through so much physical trauma that I can now see how I may have been damaged psychologically as well.  My main problem now is with not sleeping well; I need a nightly sleep aid at a high dose to get possibly 4 hours/night.  If I'm lucky I may get 7-8.  I don't obsess about what's happened to me, but I have to deal daily with the aftereffects of the physical trauma, so now I am wondering if I am suffering psychologically and didn't realize it as well?  What do you think?  Thanks for any help.