Depression/Mental Health Expert Forum
risperdal/lamictal/zoloft w/marijuana and alcohol use

This forum is for questions and support pertaining to mental health issues such as: Anger, Dementia, Depression, Family Problems, Memory Problems, Personality Disorders, Phobias, Schizophrenia, Transitions and Work Problems.

My son has been prescribed a 100 mg of lamictal/100 mg zoloft(taken in am) and
1mg risperdal(pm).  He's been on this combination of meds since Jan.07 after a seizure associated with alcohol use and Wellbutin put him in the hospital.  He is being treated for depression and has not had a manic episode but suffers from anxiety.  I've read so many frightening things about risperdal that I wonder about continued use.  Is the the dosage small enough so it doesn't pose a long term threat?  He also regularly uses marijuana and I've just read about marijuana use  tied to psychosis risk.  My son is on medical leave from college (one semester thus far) but I don't see improvement to merit his return to school this fall.  I'm concerned that his medication needs to be reevaluated and truly believe he can't deal with his depression until his alcohol (occasional) and marijuana use
(frequent) are curtailed.  He is working 38 hrs. a week but at a dead end job. He complains that he lacks concentration to read. Any recommendations?  Is his medication endangering him particularly combined with marijuana and occasional alcohol use?
This is a very potent combination of medications that effect the brain, and alchohol and marijuanna use can lead to unpredictable and dangerous effects. I would agree that this cocktail should be reevaluated by an experienced psychopharmacologist, and your son should know that adding alcohol and marijuana puts him at great risk.
risperdal will make him gain lots of weight.
perhaps u can tel him that  zoloft is a + drug and when he uses drugs or alchol  which is a -  it comes out to O help one cancells out the other. if he wants to get better stay of drugs and alchol which are depressants. it may make him feel great for the night but will not improve his future, good luck
I am a 53 year old woman, 170 pounds, taking 250mg Lamictal per day for bipolar disorder. I have tried to enjoy a beer or two (or some wine) from time to time but find that I get a splitting headache every time I do this. Is this common? I would love to enjoy even 1 drink from time to time without this annoying result. Thanks. KT
I was at a friend's house and tried strong marijuana and it led to all these OCD thoughts for the next four months.  I have yet to get rid of it.  Is it possible I opened pandora's box by trying some really strong MJ?  I'm struggling to stop these thought but it's been tough.